[Steppes] SCA in the news. Not good news.

Greylond Aston greylondaston at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 1 16:52:36 PST 2003

Here is something that i just found.

A Minister of Children from the Kingdom of the East(I
think, but it is Weisenberg Township, PA mundanly) has
been arrested.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_5schragger-4oct30,0,7379260.story?col

First let me say that I know nothing beyond what is in
the story linked to above, but I'm looking for more
information. Also, I don't want to imply that I think
he is guilty or not. However, the danger is there and
the Society is getting pretty big. I don't think that
anyone we know and play with is a danger, but I'm
wondering.

What safeguards does Steppes and/or Elfsea have to
prevent something like this? For that matter the
Kingdom? What procedures are followed when approving a
MoC? What about people who are MoC for only one event?

I don't want to sound like a worry-wort or want the
Kingdom and Baronies to have to come up with even MORE
paperwork, but I think our children's safety should be
treated with due care. One of the things that Sara and
I love is being able to use the SCA as a family
activity. So far everyone involved has treated Andrew
very well and helped us look after him during events
and we would like to know that we can continue with
that feeling.

I think that it speaks highly of our local area that
there are several children that have practically grown
up in the Society and are treated like part of a big
extended family, but I believe we should be proactive
when it comes to these kinds of dangers. Also, if we
develop some kind of procedures to prevent this, even
is some kind of basic background check, we can show
mundane society that we do try to prevent it.

Greylond