[Steppes] SCA in the news. Not good news.

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 2 14:39:23 PST 2003

For some reason I got this message and another both yesterday and today.
Hotmail must be acting up again, but this message I have given a great deal
more thought to than the other I received in duplicate.

Despite the family , honor, and chivalric feelings that this group we belong
to gives us, it is still within the realms of the real world and in the SCA,
as in our mundane lives, there is ugliness to be found if we look close
enough. No matter how secure we feel within this group, it is still
ultimately the role of the parents to teach and protect their children, and
yet there is no way to protect them from every evil under the sun. You have
a good start with your son. You have surrounded yourselves with a group of
close people within this larger group that you have built relationships of
trust with that you trust to watch and guide him. All the more eyes to keep
on him and his safety, but it takes more than the vigilence of many eyes to
protect a child from this kind of thing, and even if we did background
checks on every person who ever worked with the children...and I do not
really advocate this, there are still people who will get through, as the
example you gave shows. I would suggest that parents get to know the people
that take on these children's activities and participate with them rather
than just dropping the kids off as so many of them do. If you watch and work
with someone, they will show you their true colors soon enough. That's all
it took to catch this guy was someone paying attention. The few times that I
have actually witnessed organized children's activities at an event, the
person who volunteered for that task was the only adult present. This is a
set up for potential disaster. There should always be a minimum of two
adults working with kids for the safety of both the kids and the adult. It's
pretty hard for anyone to do anything creepy or for them to be accused
falsely if there is another adult around.

As a parent, myself of a son, I began to talk to him openly and honestly
about things in this world that aren't always so nice, including people he
might meet that seem friendly, but do not have his best interests at heart.
We have over the course of 13 years built a relationship of trust and
honesty which I can only hope will lead him to come to me when someone says
or does something to him which he feels is not right or is not comfortable
with. I have had indications that he will do this from recent communications
we have had, but I know that I can never be certain, especailly as he gets
deeper into the teens when he, as part of growing up, wont feel as
comfortable with some subjects with me.

The first SCA event I took Adam to was in An Tir...The Shire of Dragon's
Mist Defender tourney. He insisted on having his own tent with the dog while
my friend and I shared the other. In the morning, I was shocked to find that
he had left his tent after I was asleep (or else he was very, very quiet)
and had gone out into the encampment alone. He told me with light in his
eyes about sitting around the Bardic Fire and the stories he had heard. Then
he told about the fire dancer he had watched. He wandered on through out the
camp and was befriended by some folk who invited him to join them and listen
to the drums. One man talked to him quite a lot.  I will admit that i was
not overly thrilled with this development, but I could not undo it. I had
not said anything at this point, but had only listened and encouraged him to
continue. To my great relief he said as he pointed to one part of the
encampment..."Mom, I didnt go over there. There was too much drinking and
craziness there." It was at that moment that I knew that I had could trust
him to make wiser decisions than I realized. I did ask him not to go off
again the next night without letting me know, but I did let him wander the
camp again on his own, knowing roughly where he was and that if a certain
amount of time had past, I would go looking for him.

You can arm your children with the knowledge and information. That is their
best protection, along with a trusting relationship. Having all those other
eyes and ears around is great, too. At some point, though you have to let
them live their own lives, no matter how difficult it is. If I had gotten
all upset and scolded my son, he would have decided that this SCA stuff was
no fun and why chould he go if all he could do was stay in our camp and
babysit the dog. As it is, even though he lives 2000 miles away, he wants to
play and go to events here when he visits. He is looking forward to the day
when he can play on his own in An Tir.