[Steppes] For our soldiers

Julie Cunningham juliecunningham65 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 13:54:22 PDT 2004

*****Dont forget - bring your "stuff" tonight to business meeting.  Here is a copy of the original message just in case you forgot what items are needed********

a fellow SCA member Friedrich von Konigsberg , lets have a drive for care
packages for our soldiers.

> I will be your contact point. Bring your items to Populace, Business
Meeting and Artisan. Deadline will be August Populace.

> So what can you bring? Here is a the list:
>
> Beanie Babies (they can give these to the children, which helps them make
allies)Breakfast-type foods and drinks are the most needed.

> Beefaroni, ravioli, spaghetti & meatballs, etc
>
> Beef Jerky Candy, gum, trail mix, etc.
>
> Fruit, in the small flip top cans. (Put zip-top cans in a plastic bag!)
>
> Cereal bars, granola bars, Special-K bars, etc.
>
> Coffee, instant and regular, and filters.
>
> Coffee cups. (metal, camping types are good.)
>
> Coffee makers, hot plates.
>
> Canned nuts.
>
> Canned chips, like the potato sticks or the small canned Pringles,
Doritos, etc.

> Decent can openers
>
> Powdered drinks, pre-sweetened, Kool-Aid, Gatorade, etc.
>
> Snacks, brownies,Lil Debbie, snack cakes, etc, nothing with icing that
will melt.

> Soups, chunky, chicken, beef, etc.
>
> Tuna, canned and packs.
>
> Antibacterial wipes - lots of these!
>
> Anti-fungal for their feet - athletes foot creme, foot powder - no aerosol
bottles.

> Band Aids, cough lozenges, small packs of Kleenex, shower-to-shower
powder.

> Combs, paper, pens, envelopes, lip balm, eye drops, q-tips, nail clippers.
>
> Eye drops - the cleaning kind - because of all the sand storms...(Put in
plastic bag!)

> Female necessities
>
> Flip flops - shower shoes - so they can air their feet out when they get a
break. NO Flea Collars!!

> Small containers of Tylenol, Motrin, etc.
>
> Small tubes of toothpaste and toothbrushes, deodorant, soap, shampoo.
>
> Sunscreen
>
> Comics and paperback books, crossword puzzle books.
>
> DVDs & CDs.
>
> Game Boys, the ones your kids don't use anymore, and the games Magazines.
>
> Sports stuff (baseballs, footballs, old gloves, frisbees...)
>
> Batteries, alkaline - Mostly AA-size, but some AAA
>
> Batteries, rechargeable, and chargers - Mostly AA-size, but some AAA also.
>
> Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard, available here for 1/2 off sale.
>
> DEET insect spray.
>
> Disposable cameras.
>
> Electrical items; Transformers, dual voltage appliances, plug adapters,
etc

> Fans. All kinds. Especially small, hand-held battery types. The kind with
sprayers are great.

> Flashlights - small, black or dark green, AA battery. Headlights (small
flashlights worn on a helmit).

> Maglite (flashlight) bulbs.
>
> Music CD's. (Have a portable player you don't use anymore?)
>
> Pens, paper, envelopes. (NO stamps! They get free mail.)
>
> Phone Cards
>
> Pillows,small or inflatable, self-inflating camping air mattress.
>
> SpaceR "All Weather" blankets. (Find the ones with olive drab, tan or camo
on one side.)

> SpaceR "Emergency" blankets. (These are much smaller, easy to keep.)
>
> The Oxford Picture Dictionary: English/Arabic
>
> or click on this link
>
> http://www.anysoldier.us/WhatToSend.html
>
> Money will be also needed to ship the package. For example, a 25 lb
package will cost around $70.00 to ship.

> We will also want to include cards, pictures or letters with our package.
So, when you give, please also write at least a quick note to them. I would
also like to print out some pictures of us off of the net and pass them
around so we all can sign them. Does anyone have a good picture of our Baron
and Baroness that we can add to the mix?

> I have chosen to send our package to the 1st Cavalry Division in Iraq (one
of the contact names is a Cunningham *grins* ). We cannot choose a contact
until the day we send the package, so I will let you know our final contact
later.