[Steppes] Color wheel-was:Garb question - materials

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 30 07:58:53 PDT 2004

If you want, try a monochromatic color scheme-same color, different fabric.
Other variations would be shades (blacker) or tints (more pastel) of the
same color. Another might be duller (grayed) and more intense hues of the
original.

You could also try colors to the sides of that one on the color wheel:
Blue and Purple for an Analagous color harmony.

For direct contrast, and it doesn't take much for an accent, go opposite on
the color wheel:
Blue-purple with Yellow-orange.

Another color scheme would be "Triadic": (a triangle on the color wheel,
with one of the points on the color you are using)
Blue-purple, Yellow-green, Red-Orange.

But all this is probably more than most people want to know. I have a
tendency to get passionate when it comes to talking about art. Forgive me.

BTW, as a qualification for the above statements, I have a long-standing
official certification to teach art in Texas junior and senior highs. I have
paintings hanging in four countries from the days when my watercolor
(traditional watercolor, i.e. transparent, and harder to work with than
opaque gouache) paintings were in galleries, invitational shows, winning in
State Fairs, and I attained the Southwest Watercolor Society's right to wear
their insignia in gold. [Jus' tha' facts, Ma'am!  :-)  ]

Now, as to finding a color wheel, I would suggest Dallas' Asel Art stores, a
chain with links all over town. Grumbacher puts out a good wheel,
double-sided, with all sorts of info. Mine is old, no doh!, but has a
catalog number of B 420.

Hope the above is some help, though I think you said your dress was already
made....ah, well, for an SCAer, there is always a next time.

As for the fabrics, that is another field in which I am not well-versed.
There are plenty of fabric mavens in this group, though, thank goodness!They
can tell you what fabric is suited for what country and era.

Lete