[Steppes] Greetings from the incoming hospitaller

hrldndva at yahoo.com hrldndva at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 18:56:47 PDT 2004

Greetings to the Barony of the Steppes and her
Cantons!

Even though I am not scheduled to become the Steppes
Hospitaller until this weekend, when Lady Claire’s
warrant ends and she becomes our new Central Regional
Hospitaller, I’d like to introduce myself to those of
you whom I haven’t yet met, and to let the Barony know
what I have in mind as I endeavor to follow in
Claire’s footsteps.

Firstly, if you served as a deputy under Lady Claire
and would like to continue doing so, or if you would
like to become a new deputy, please, let me know!  I
would be ecstatic if every member of the Barony wanted
to consider themselves to be a hospitaller; I don’t
think we can have too many people working to welcome
our new members.

Sometime in the near future, I would like to find out
what the newcomers to our Barony and Society would
like to learn, and try to see to it that they are
given every opportunity to do so.  In that interest, I
am starting a “Steppes Mentorship” program.
How will this work?  Well, Steppes, it starts with
you.  If you have knowledge that you would like to
impart, are proficient in a skill or art, or would
merely like to be a ‘buddy’ to a new member at their
first few events, I need to know about it!  While I
know that most of our members would always help if
asked, I’d like to have a database of who does what,
and who wants to teach, so that when a newcomer- or
even old-timer- expresses an interest, I can point
them in the right direction.  You do not have to be a
peer, or have been playing since Zeus was a baby; even
if you are enthusiastic and would like to learn more
about your art or skill while teaching somebody else,
I want to hear from you!

I am also going to be speaking with those that haven’t
been playing for very long to see if a series of
classes oriented towards newcomers would be a good
idea.  If you have a class you would like to teach
that falls along those lines-  from an understanding
of how the SCA works- from BOD to local level,
protocol and precedence, or how to survive a camping
event or make a T-tunic, please let me know!

And finally, if you consider yourself a newcomer,
please touch base with me.  I have not yet received
this information from Lady Claire, but will soon, and
I will be in touch with you if I don’t hear from you
first.

Thanks for being patient and making it all the way to
the end of this long missive.  I’ll try to keep them
shorter in the future.

YiS,

Lady Sarah MacGregor