[Steppes] "Adventure" on the Storm

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 12:45:06 PDT 2004

Hi Gang!!

Now that I have caught up reading all of the "Rider on the Storm" emails, I wanted to share my little adventure with everyone.

As I was driving alone back from Warlord, it started lightly raining.  Innocent?  Innocuous you say?  No way.  People get really stupid here in light rain.  I was on LBJ/635 in a rather tight line of cars, when the 18 wheeler in front of me start to jack-knife.  Yes, he was right in front of me.  The driver managed somehow to straighten the truck and come to a halt.  Luckily, I had new tires on my car and stopped about a foot away from his bumper.  Then I glanced behind me in the mirror.  I saw the car behind me get hit by a wild car that couldn't stop that crashed into two other cars before it came to a halt.  You could hear crashes and bangs all along the highway for another 10 seconds or so.  I slid forward a few more inches closer to the truck bumper as I was afraid that the cars behind me were going to get pushed forward.  Finally, traffic slowly started to move again.  I found out why the truck jack-knifed.  There had been a multi-car accident in front of him as well and he was
 trying to stop in time.  The traffic went around the 18 wheeler where we saw all of the crashed cars in front of him.  I felt fortunate that I wasn't one of the casualties - I'm sure we all felt that.  Cars all around me were getting hit and mine didn't even receive a scratch.  Whew!  Someone was watching over me, that's for sure.  Yes, I called Jon shortly after that.  I was a bit shaken.

There's my adventure.  Hope you enjoyed my night on the storm. Got home, phone and lights were on, dogs were fine, trees were fine.  No chainsaws needed on our property.

Rock on!!
Gabrielle

"Qui ne risque rien, n'a rien."

"Mieux vaut profiter tard,