[Steppes] other fabric news............

Shanna Pajac shannapajac at swbell.net
Wed Mar 3 16:15:26 PST 2004

I went down to Perth St. this last weekend on a hunt for a soft blue linen of any weight, and some solid-coloured flannel. Yes I know flannel isn't period, but wool makes me itch even through lining :(

While I found the linen, I also found that the prices charged for the fabrics I looked at are comparable to my nearest Jo-Ann's & Hancock - I keep a little notebook for such things because I have a truly deplorable memory.

Certainly the 'binned' scraps are great for their price, but I really can't do much with a  yard or two beyond a bodice or child's outfit. I was really hoping that these places would bargain with me (especially the ones with rack of dusty fabric just dying to be sold...), but they're just as firm in their pricing as retail.

I admit the the prices on the silks are cheaper in some cases by 3-5$, but 12$ a yard is still far too pricey for me.

I wish those of you going hunting better luck than I had, though.

Sophie