[Steppes] Re: SCA Clothing

MCBaker216 at cs.com MCBaker216 at cs.com
Sat May 8 09:30:00 PDT 2004

In a message dated 05/08/2004 8:57:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
steppes-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> This was in the Dallas paper yesterday. Kinda wonder what kind of "period"
> clothes could be made from this. ;)
>
> Duck brand duct tape is once again offering $5,000 in college scholarships
> to the prom couple who designs the most stylish formalwear using their
> sticky but oh-so-practical product. Use maroon, purple, silver, black or any
> of the company's many colors of tape. Just make sure the majority of his tux
> and her dress is crafted out of duct tape. For contest rules or to view
> entries from years past, go to  www.ducktapeclub.com .
>
> Ly Gabriele

Based upon what we were looking at last year (when we still had DSL and could
afford the bandwidth), the number of outfits along perioid lines -- if not
directly attributable to period visual sources -- are really rather amazing.

The small picture that appeared in the left margin of a recent DMN issue
barely does justice to the effects some of the entrants have achieved.
Elizabethan ruffs, Italian Renn, German "pumpkin pants", parasols, walking sticks,
chapeaux, fans, trains, tunics, etc. etc. etc.

Makes for a pleasurable browse to review the pictorial archives.  Some of the
plaids achieved would even challenge the legendary Tiernan's fashion sense, I
believe... <GRYN>

ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe
Mike C. Baker
SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: <A HREF="mailto:KiheBard at hotmail.com">KiheBard at hotmail.com</A> OR <A HREF="mailto:MCBaker216 at cs.com">MCBaker216 at cs.com</A>
   Buy my writings!:   <A HREF="http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen">http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen</A>
   SFF&H Reviews and More!: <A HREF="http://www.sfwatcher.com/">http://www.sfwatcher.com</A> (E-Mail: <A HREF="mailto:vidwatcher at sfwatcher.com">