[Steppes] What to bring to Warlord

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Tue May 18 05:21:19 PDT 2004

You might want to go by one of the 1/2 Price Books stores and check out some
of the backwoods camping book offerings. I read a couple before going on my
first one and when the 55 mph wind came through, my little home stayed
anchored to the ground!

I would also suggest any electrical extension cords be certified for outdoor
use. I bring mine into the tent and modify it with a surge protector into
which I plug anything I want to run. Just remember not to run a lot of
things at the same time off the one cord to avoid a fire hazard.

I also learned about a wonderful "extra" invented by "Fritz's Tribe." It's a
"convenience" made of a 5 gallon paint can from Home Depot with a lid,
garbage bags to fit and some nice smelling kitty litter (this year's may be
the cedar kind!). Fill the garbage bags with some litter to absorb any
liquids in the even the can gets knocked over. Stack the bags on top of one
another. Replace the lid until the "convenience" is needed, like in the
middle of the night or when it is pouring rain. In the morning, the
twist-tied bag can be take to the communal trash can.

(It's a lot more sanitary than the "yellow" jars I have taken to the garbage
cans that someone left for us of the cleanup crew to dispose of!)

Another goodie I take is the instant closet--from Target?--which sets up as
a hanging rack for the clothes, though the "oldtimers" say to put everything
in sealable, waterproof bins. I had the horizontal rods cut to half their
length, so not that much space is taken of the tent floor. The rods are also
great places to hang totes and a battery-operated lantern on, as well as a
mirror.

I am sure that others can chime in...I just know these things work for me.
Good luck--and don't be afraid to as some chivalric SCA hunk to help you!
They are soooooo nice!

Lete
Who, however, may be slowing down on camping, since her 65th birthday is in
September... (It can't be all that hard if she's still doing it, right?)