[Steppes] Steppes Fighter Practice - 09-12-04

meggiddo at netzero.net meggiddo at netzero.net
Tue Sep 14 21:28:46 PDT 2004

Thanks Roc and others for your postings and words of encouragement.

I know that a number of heavy fighters will be traveling North, to
answer the call of arms issue by our King, HRM Drake. To help defend the
northern borders in Moonschadowe at their event: Moonschadowe Guardian.
I wish them a safe journey and return with an excellent tournament and
victory up there!

This is a personal observation of the "Happenings at Steppes Fighter
Practice" as requested by the Baron of Steppes, Sir Mahdi, who requested
such reporting since August 2nd.

In attendance at this practice, the following:

Sir Mahdi, Baron of the Steppes,

Hosey and his children - Tori, Jon, and Nikko,

Honor from Elfsea,

Centurion Morgan and his Lady Kim,

Chiara,

Roc the Bold and his Lady Icia, Roc is also an excellent maker of armor.

Hrafn, - Steppes Knight Marshal,

Neal and Melissa, - Melissa came out to pick up some armor that Roc had
made for her.

Clayton,

Matt and his Lady Nicole,

Josh,

Duncan and his Lady Kitty,

Corwin,

Dux and Bren,

Michael,

Two newcomers - Steve is one and I did not get the second one's name
arrived to enjoy and learn the skills and knowledge of being a heavy
fighter within the Kingdom of Ansteorra,

Connor with Brock,

Wolf,

Those in armor and fighting:

Sir Mahdi, Hosey, Roc, Hrafn, Matt, Morgan, Josh, Duncan, Clayton,
Connor, Wolf, Dux, Steve and the other newcomer,

For a total of 14 heavy fighters in armor, representing a wide range of
skills and abilities.

     Total attendance at this practice: 29 good gentles.

     Happenings:

Things were a bit slow to start, which is the usual case after a major
war event such as Gothic Wars. Based upon the initial small numbers, it
was decided not to put of the pavilion. Then the last group arrived.
People were arriving with the majority between 3:30 PM and 4:30 PM.

There was instruction in sword and board from Sir Mahdi, Hrafn, and
Hosey.
Hosey spent some time with the two new comers (Steve is one) while Hrafn
got into his armor. Working with them on basic movements concerning the
proper use of our "swords". Which also included using ax handles.

Those who might be wondering what ax handles have to do with training
for using a rattan sword, then you have best come out and experience it
for yourself.

A word about both of the these new comers - they have been involved in
martial arts prior to coming out. Much like Hrafn, prior to his coming
out back in November or so of 2003 and becoming the fighter that he is
today.

Steve had also has experience in other types of history groups, such as
Mountain Men. Then spent some time checking out Amgard. Amgard was not
real to him at all. A friend of his point him to the SCA.

Since both have had martial arts, then in some ways they will have an
easier time in some areas, while in other areas they will have new
skills that will replace those that do not apply.

Chiara showed up in different leather armor for the lower half of the
body. I believe that Chiara worked some more with spear, possible sword
and shield. If I recall correctly Hosey was working with Chiara.

Some of the fights that I witnessed:

Sir Mahdi vs. Roc - both carrying sword and shield,
Sir Mahdi vs. Hrafn - both carrying sword and shield,
Roc vs. Connor - carrying sword and shield vs. sword and modiu (sp?)

These two fights were more along the lines of training:
Hrafn vs. Steve - both carrying sword and shield,
Hrafn  vs. the other new comer - both carrying sword and shield,
Hosey vs. Steve - Hosey single sword, while Steve carried sword and
shield,
Hosey vs the other new comer - same type of weapons mix as above.

Hosey vs. Honor - Hosey single sword and Honor with both sword and
shield. Interesting note - Hosey is now carrying a decent mark and
bruise on his left arm from where Honor connected with that arm.

Matt vs. Dux - both carrying sword and shield,
Josh vs. Matt - not sure about sword and shield or two swords vs two
swords,

I know that Clayton got into armor and fought, do not recall with whom
though.

I do recall that Hrafn also brought out his "Mace of Doom".

Sir Mahdi also had his mace out at practice, perhaps there was a match
of mace vs. mace.

I was busy with combat archery both in solo practice at 50 feet against
a varying wind with a back stop of a earthworks. Then Josh requested
some instruction in combat archery. He shot 10 arrows to get a feel how
how to load a combat arrow, shoot one, plus got a better understanding
on the grip required and the different types of muscles necessary to
pull a combat bow as oppose to swinging a sword and carrying a shield.

Next Sunday will have the pavilion up. The long term forecast calls for
it to be in the mid-90's.

Remember to bring plenty of water and other good things. Please start
drinking extra water prior to Sunday - start on Thursday and you will be
in better shape come Sunday concerning the warmth of the day.

Michael Fray