[Steppes] Steppes Fighter Practice - 09-19-04

meggiddo at netzero.net meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Sep 20 17:19:12 PDT 2004

Heilsa,

There were a number of events going on this weekend in which a good
portion of the regular fighters and attendees went to. The two events
were Raven's Fort Defender and Moonschadowe Guardian.

Centurion Morgan
Roc the Bold
Hrafn
Matt and his lady Nicole,
Chiara,
Sir Mahdi, Baron of Steppes,

(These are ones that I recall hearing about.)

I did heard the Matt was entering the newcomers tournament on Sunday at
Moonschadowe Guardian. Have not heard the outcome.

The individuals that made the effort to attend either one of those
events - a hearty VIVAT!

Even more hearty VIVAT for those fighters that attended either one of
those events, despite the mundane crowd at the park on Sunday and made
it out to fighter practice on Sunday.

Hrafn - who attended Raven's Fort Defender and fought most of Saturday.
Centurion Morgan and Roc - both of whom went to Moonschadowe Guardian
and fought Saturday. All three were tried from the fighting and the long
drive back to make practice on Sunday.

Next week is Elfsea Defender - I am sure that a large number of the
regular fighters will at this event as well. I do encourage everyone who
is able to attend this event to support our sister barony. And perhaps
win the titled of "Elfsea Defender".

I have been informed that Roc the Bold will have a booth as a merchant
manned by his lady wife, Icia, which will be by the list field on
Saturday with selections of armor "FOR SALE".  Items will range from
helms (including my helm for display purposes only, to showcase one
method of his craftsmanship), to half-guantlets, birch wood shields (I
believe this is correct), to battlefield garb that his lady, Icia, sews.
She also does excellent court garb as well - I am wearing some of her
creations at last 12th Night.

Back to the park:
The shade pavilion was up, along with a shield to maintain the shade
from the encroaching sun as it moved across the heavens.

Attendance this Sunday:

Hosey and kids - Tori, Jon, and Nikko,

Honor from Elfsea,

Centurion Morgan and his Lady Kim,

Roc the Bold and his Lady Icia,

Hrafn, Steppes Knight Marshal,

Lady Elizabeta di Valore della Rosa

Aria and his brother Donyell,

"Doc",

Lady Kathleen O'Mallory (sp?),

Connor with his Lady "Red" and their two sons - Brock and Liam (whom is
14 months old),

Corwin,

Don Alaric,

A Lady from Falcon Rose who arrived with her rapier equipment, I was
informed of her name and at the moment it escapes me.

Those in armor:  8 in armor and fighting.

Honor, Hosey, Roc, Hrafn, Centurion Morgan, Donyell, Doc, and Connor,

Total attendance:  22 good gentles

Fighting that I recall:

Centurion Morgan vs Connor - sword and shield vs sword and modu (I
think)
Centurion Morgan vs Roc - swords and shields carried by both.
Centurion Morgan vs Hrafn - swords and shields carried by both.

Honor vs Hosey - swords and bucklers carried by both.

Hrafn vs Doc - swords and shields carried by both.
Hrafn vs Roc - swords and shields carried by both.
Hrafn vs Donyell - swords and shields carried by both.
Hrafn vs Connor - swords and shields carried by both.

Honor vs Roc - swords and bucklers carried by both. A word on this bout,
this was a walk through training drill in learning how to coordinate
sword and buckler and improve the number of actually sword blows that
are currently in the 1st set of combinations that come to a fighter's
mind. While actual moving, instead of standing still.  Normally, the
number of blows that most fighters will automatically execute is one to
possible four depending upon the level of experience and training that
individual has.

There were more fighting involved with the same individuals fighters
over the course of the afternoon. In other words, the same fighters
faced off with each other several times.

This past Sunday was one of the largest turnouts that Mary heads Carter
park has seen.

This happens about once or twice a year. Depending upon which groups
wish to hold an annual outing at the park.

The parking was such that if you had arrived around the normal time (2
PM), you would have had a difficult time locating a parking space with
the park or for that fact on the side of the road where practice is
held. Although some individuals were able to find a parking space with
the park - it was the luck of the draw here.

Reason - a Boy Scout troop with a local church was holding a "BBQ" with
pony rides and a petting zoo for the kids. !/4 of the parking lot was
blocked off for the zoo. The park should be back to normal levels next
Sunday.

I hope to see everyone who did not get enough fighting at Elfsea
Defender or who wish to improve their fighting skills after Elfsea
Defender come out next Sunday for the regular fighter practice.

Michael Fray