[Steppes] clothing

Barbara W alysd38 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 06:21:39 PDT 2004

There are people better qualified to answer than I, but I can tell you what I understand.

The metal grommets that we us actually cut the threads of the material (you end up with a small disk cut out) and are visible from both sides in the finished garment.  This interrupts the look, and weakens the integrity of the material; I have had problems in the past with grommets pulling out, and once that happens it is hard to repair.

As I understand it, in "period" (that mysterious time that covers too many times and too many cultures to ever say "X happened in period", but we try....) a ring was used, placed between the two layers of fabric, and sewn in so that the weave of the material is drawn to the ring, making an opening.  Hmm...that was as clear as mud....

Say you took an awl and poked it through the fabric...that would not cut the threads, but push the weave open in one place, pushing the threads to the sides.  Sewing in the ring would work in the same way, you go through the same place in the fabric each time and draw the threads away, leaving a hole and capturing the ring in the process.  This leaves the fabric integrity intact and you have a nice covered ring to pull your cord against.

Now, in practice I've been lazy and just made button holes, weather I'm buttoning or lacing.  They are quick if you have a machine that does them and do not interfere with the look of the garment.

All of that being said....if you wanted to use grommets you could, no one is going to stop you, however I think you will like the look better if you try one of these other methods.

Alys