[Steppes] Mini "Feast" Crossbow and Siege Engine Contest at 12th Night

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Mon Jan 5 21:50:09 PST 2004

My Lords and Ladies, Good Gentles All ~

In An Tir, I have shivered in the howling song of the Northern Chinooks, and
have praised heaven for stout walls and the merry pop of burning wood in the
fireplace while being chewed in the teeth of a blizzard in Oertha; I have
frozen AND roasted in the cruel Santa Ana gales of Caid, and choked on the
wind driven dust devils of Atenveldt, but, my friends, never until I came to
Ansteorra and the Steppes have I ever seen gale force winds that blow in two
directions at THE SAME TIME.

Which is why we were unable to actually have a fun feast competition. It
would have been spitting marshmallows into the wind, a sad, bad thing to do.

But, I have to say -- if not for the wind, we were good to go, which is
AMAZING, considering the whole gloriously goofy idea was hatched at about
t-minus 48 hours. I really have to acknowledge and thank the people who came
together to try to make this happen, and who I hope will be there next year,
with much more warning -- and the gracious permission of the powers that are
and shall be. :-)

Lord Hubert d'Aiguës-Mortes -- A driving force indeed! :-) He also
contributed to the largesse pot for maximum fun. (The chocolate is still in
the fridge, unopened, btw.... Somehow, I doubt it will last to next year.

Lady Roana -- A definite inspiration. :-) She took on the responsibility of
making prize bags and  wonderful targets for the competition, despite the
workload she already had in finishing her lovely garb (hand made fabric
buttons! For a COTEHARDIE! That thud you heard was me fainting at the very
idea of working that hard....) She also brought the marshmallows!

Lady Sabine -- Helped her Lady mother Roana, and helped me as well, showing
quite well why she was raised to the Dignity of a Lady by TRMs at 12th
Night. (And why I snagged her as my student -- no fool I!)

Lady Linet, Steppes Archery Marshall -- who thought it was a great idea,
supported it wholly, and despite being run off her dainty feet with meetings
and other such affaires of state, made time to be there and run it.

Lady Gerita del Mare and Lord David ben Leon -- Brought targets, tables, and
loaner weapons. Would that we could have played with them!

Lord Iames and Lady Liadan -- Who took time out from much more important
things to speak with me, and who also brought along "toys" for the "games".

His Lordship William Ironwyrm -- Mucho support, great suggestions, and
another swamped soul who made time to help me anyway. He also provided
targets, equipment, instruction....

His Excellency Count Sir Baron Mahdi -- who despite everything ELSE going on
made time in his schedule to judge the display of siege engines, which,
alas, didn't happen due to lack of siege engines present. Judging by the
chagrin and interest of the Gentles who spoke with me after the contest was
announced, I think that this will NOT be a problem next year.

Baron Edwin, the Autocrat -- thanks for letting us try.

Lady Francesca -- Ditto.

Thank you all, and everyone that I have inevitably forgotten. I am
ASTONISHED at how readily everyone I asked to help did so, and am very, very
disappointed that the winds prevented it from coming off. We ought to have
had a total blast. Next year, perhaps?

Thank you again,

HL Esther of Ennis Merth