[Steppes] OT - Calendar Girls

Michelle Dodd lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 20:53:55 PST 2004

Wow!!! I just got back from seeing Calendar Girls. This is an Excellent
movie. I highly recommend it. For the Harry Potter fans, Julie Walters, who
plays Mrs. Weasley in HP, plays Annie in Calendar Girls. She does an
excellent job in another role as a strong woman. Even knowing that she was
in the movie, I had to look carefully to see her in the character, she does
such a great job.

The movie is based on a true story, you may remember reading about it in the
papers or seeing some of the ladies on Jay Leno a few years ago. The
following is a plot summary. As I said I highly recommend this movie. I know
at some moments I was crying & at others I, as well as other people in the
audience, was laughing out loud.

Calendar Girls is about the women of the Rylstone Women's Institute in North
Yorkshire. This Women's Group produces a calendar each year based around
scenes of the Yorkshire dales. In 1999, one of the ladies husbands became
ill with leukemia. He would say that if the ladies planted Sunflowers, he'd
make sure he'd get better so he could see them. Unfortunately, he didn't
pull through and in order to raise funds for Leukemia research the women
decided to make an alternative calendar of themselves in the nude hoping to
sell a few hundred copies around their villages. This calendar in fact
became a worldwide sensation, out-selling even those of Britney Spears and
Cindy Crawford.

Lady Gabriele
of House Bloodstone
Patch to Rogue Thunder