[Steppes] Steppes Archery Practice

Karen Calhoun kmcalhou at garlandisd.net
Mon Apr 26 06:00:52 PDT 2004

Thank you Linet for letting us shoot yesterday.  I wanted to test my new arrows and I think that I like them very much.  Yours are very pretty and shoot well and straight.

I also understand why you all taunt each other:  it makes you shoot better!  Pick on me some more!  I like getting those bulls-eyes, even if it was just plain luck.  Corwin actually had a shot closer to the center than mine.  Vivat to HL Corwin!

Until next Sunday!

Katya

>>> sueorintx at hotmail.com 04/25/04 07:27PM >>>
Good evening my friends.

Each day that I live in this state I learn more about it. There is a phrase
oft heard that comes to mind today. 'If you don't like the weather, just
wait 15 minutes and it will change.' Last evening at this time I was walking
the archery field and was quite confident that we would have practice as
scheduled. The skies were clearing and the field was in fairly good
condition, much better than I had expected, having been in the rain all day,
first in Glen Rose, and then at Scarborough Faire. I was so confident that I
allowed myself to sleep for an extra half hour, beyond that time when I
ususally check weather forecasts and look at radar images and weathernet
sites to determine if practice should be cancelled.

I could not believe my ears when the first thing I heard was not my alarm,
but the sound of thunder and raindrops on the roof. Within a few minutes it
was quite clear from a quick check of my usual sources, that it was not
really going to be possible to hold practice, but it was too late to post
the announcement. I knew of some people who were likely to show up that do
not have access to the Steppes list. I would have to make the trek and if
any other brave souls were crazy enough to join me, we would decide together
whether to shoot or not.

The site was ten times wetter than it had been last evening and there were
still sprinkles coming down. Two more idiots, er, I mean hardy souls
arrived, Jacques and Katya. It was decided that it was too wet and Jacques
told us that Lady Francesca had invited us to her place for coffee and
french toast. Well that was an offer not to be refused so the three of us
caravaned to her place. We were joined by yet another archer, Corwin, who
had been planning on shooting but hadn't made it to Eastfield yet.

After an hour or so of good french toast and conversation, it was realized
that the skies were clear and the sun shining brightly. Together we chose to
trek back to Eastfield for an 'unofficial' practice.

This time we had spectators, Lady Francesca and her young friend David
cheered us on. HL Katya scored not only her first bulls-eye, but her second
and third. Well done, Katya! Corwin learned that tips glued onto arrows in
the parking lot, come off in the butts. I learned that my new arrows fly
much better than the old, but I'm still a lousy shot. Katya learned that you
can shoot much better when egged on by friendly insults and good natured
chiding.

We had a great time. The sun was  warm, the company good, and the shooting
fun, as usual. Hopefully the sun will grace us with her presence again next
Sunday.......in the morning, this time.

In service to the dream, Steppes, and Ansteorra

Linet Grey

Archery Marshall of the Steppes