[Steppes] Fw: [blackoakkeep/houndsrest] OFF Topic.... But...

Crystal Lamb clamb at Advocacyinc.org
Wed May 5 12:59:35 PDT 2004

Believe it or not, volunteers in Longview, Texas have built not only
one, but two additions to KidsView...a really wonderful kids park that
was made just like the scenario described below, and that will be made
in Rockwall.  It was born of a grassroots effort from parents in the
community, and was built by parents and kids.  A year or two later,
another addition was made which expanded the playground.  Today, it's a
shady and much loved retreat.  A neat touch is that those who worked on
the playground (or who could not physically) could pay a small fee to
have their names woodburned into fence posts around the playground.

So....I'd really encourage anyone who can volunteer to get involved.  As
the years have gone by, it's really proved to be one of the best
community projects we've ever done.  Also, kids and parents alike just
love it.

There.....my two cents. ;-)

~Aslyn

To: steppes at ansteorra.org
Subject: RE: [Steppes] Fw: [blackoakkeep/houndsrest] OFF Topic....
But...

I had the opportunity to work on one of these projects in Oregon. I
think I
ended up putting 40 hours in over 3 days. Hard but very rewarding work.
learned how to use power tools and later could go back to the playground
and
point out the places I had made. I was especially proud of the Dragon
Slide
that I drew with one other person. we drew it on the boards and boy! did
it
turn out good. My son won the contest for designing the logo for that
particular play park in The Dalles, Oregon. Leathers and Assoc. does a
fantastic job of letting the kids get involved with the design of the
play
park. There is a real sense of ownership by the community which tends to

reduce the amount of vandalism to it after it is built. If you can get
out
there, do it, you'll be glad you did.

Linet