[Steppes] Gulf Wars 2005 - Gift basket Project recap

Julie Cunningham juliecunningham65 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 09:06:35 PDT 2004

Hey  - I'm in!

I will help sew some "boards".  I think it would be fun to set aside a Saturday and whip them out.  The only thing we would need to know are the rough dimensions (wouldn't want the game pieces to be too big for the board, ya know).  A sketch would be fabulous. Maybe we could get one at Populace?

We also need a deadline to turn them in.

Also are there baronial funds for this? Just wondering.....

Kathryn

Brent Ryder <borekvv at hotmail.com> wrote:
Howdy all,

OK, looks like the project is going to be games and this idea has been
claimed by HE Valeria for the barony's contribution to the Gulf Wars Largess
baskets.

The ideas for this so far include the assumed period games of:

Chess
Checkers
Goose
Nine Man Morris
Ship, Captain, Mate and Crew
Shut the Box
Tablero

HE Valeria has a book on period games so we can choose which ones we want to
do and wants to include 2-4 games.

The general concensus is to make the boards out of fabric, possibly
embroidered or painted, with a draw-string that makes the board(s)
themselves into a bag to carry the respective pieces (dice, chessmen,
checkers, etc).

There has been a suggestion that the various guilds produce their own
versions of the games based on what skills they possess. I can see entire
sections like all the boards, all the dice, all the men, all the
instructions, etc being done by the various guilds, but not having each
group do an entire set. We want these to be uniform so that everyone gets
the same thing.

Now we need to make final decisions on which games to include and then we
can get started. I would suggest the following division of labor for the
projects:

I can see the C&I guild doing the instructions

Clothier's guild doing the boards - painted, embroidered, etc, whichever
looks the best

We could include a potpourri bag in the sets from the herbal guild

What guild(s) or household(s) are interested in making the game pieces?

Borek