[Steppes] Gulf Wars 2005 - Gift basket Project recap

wjwakefield@juno.com wjwakefield at juno.com
Thu Aug 19 20:46:28 PDT 2004

I have a number of wooden dice (not handmade) that I could contribute,
though not enough for all the games.  I will count and see how many - 16.
 I might be able to get more from the place I got these from, if you want
them...

Bone game pieces would be nice for some games.  Bone discs would work
well for Shut the Box - two colors or different designs on them.  I think
you would only need 10 or 12 for a Shut the Box game???  Stamped or
pierced metal would also work for these, as would simple wooden shapes,
or stamped leather.

Backgammon is another period game with relatively simple pieces and a
relatively easy gameboard.  All the above suggestions would apply to
backgammon pieces as well.

What about Taafal (is that how it is spelt?) the "Norse chess" game.  Bs.
Ameline had a lovely set at Artisan...

Chess pieces are more complex, and there are more of them, so they should
be simpler in execution.

Do we want to consider polymer clay for pieces, or is that too modern to
use?

I don't know what is involved in some of the other games.

Suzanna, herbalist