[Steppes] Living in the Past....Could you really do it??

lizdenpeters@juno.com lizdenpeters at juno.com
Tue Sep 7 15:19:30 PDT 2004

Meat was also an expensive and precious commodity.  If you killed the cow
for meat and leather, you had no milk, cream, butter or cheese.  If you
killed the sheep, you had no wool or milk or cheese.  If you had too many
animals to feed, you traded them for other goods you needed. Also, all
meats went bad very quickly if they were not dried, smoked or salted.
Late summer, just before harvest was the "hungry time" because grain
stores were low if not exhausted and the fruits of harvest were not ready
yet.  If there was an infestation of insects in the grain, many times
they were ground with the grain because they had nothing else.  From the
limited studies I have done, it indicates that most subsisted on dairy
and grain products.  We take the vast variety of foods available today
for granted.  It was not that way then or even when I was growing up to a
certain extent -- apples in the fall, tomatoes in the summer, tender
lettuces in early spring, various berries in mid to late summer.  Now, if
you are willing to pay, you can have fresh strawberry pie at Christmas.

I freely admit that I am spoiled by todays conveniences: freezers, A/C,
refrigeration, clean water(running hot and cold), dependable sewage
disposal (they had open sewers in the streets and sometimes the streets
were the sewers), antibiotics, indoor plumbing, dental care, etc., etc.
However, having lived without some and all of these, I don't take them
for granted.

Lady Fionnghuala the Fair  ~ "Nuala"
"It seems the less a statesman amounts to, the more he loves the flag."
                      ~~~~~Kin Hubbard~~~~~~