[Steppes] OT: new SCA-related resource

Michelle Dodd lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 21:05:55 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/27/04 9:24:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
announce at scabusiness.com writes:

Greetings unto the people of the Kingdom of Ansteorra  from Kareina Talvi
Tytär, second Viscountess of Oertha, currently residing in the Kingdom of An
Tir,

My Lords and Ladies,  this missive is sent to you to introduce you to a new
SCA-related resource, http://scabusiness.com/, which is in the process of
being crafted.  It is being created on behalf of those of us who, no matter
how active in the Society we may be, don't necessarily know what
modern-world skills our friends within in the Society have. This information
is vital if one desires to give one's custom first and foremost to others
within the Society  rather than calling upon a random
individual from the modern world. This resource is intended to be a
comprehensive listing for all manner of diverse skills, whether one needs
one's roof repaired, requires assistance compiling one's taxes, or needs a
new hair dresser.   It is also intended to be a listing of SCA folk who have
period skills for hire, such as armorer, potter, or weaver.  It is intended
that this resource be fully functional by October, when it will be
searchable by location, type of skill, name of an individual or their
business, etc.  but in the meanwhile it is already available in a
non-searchable format.

In order that this listing be as complete as possible I have been charged by
its creator, Sir Colin MacLear, to spread the word that people within our
Society may know of it and may seek to add their names to the electronic
scroll.  We invite both businesses owned by SCA folk, and SCA people who
have skills they are willing to hire (or barter) to add their names and
skills to the database.   We encourage SCA people to look first to this
source when they have a task they wish to hire another to accomplish on
their behalf. While there is a modest fee associated with adding one's name
and/or business to the web page to cover things like the costs associated
with its development and maintenance, there are no fees for accessing the
database in search of someone with the skills you require.  We grant
permission to post this missive onto other lists, that the word be further
spread.  I thank you for your attention to my words and draw them to a close
now that your normal list discussion may resume.

In Service to the Society,

--Kareina