[Steppes] OT and very interesting.

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 18:01:13 PDT 2004

I tried to send this privately, but it bounced....

Words of wisdom from one who has had multiple orthopedic surgeries:

Follow your doctor's orders.  Don't do too much, too soon.

Don't be macho.

Let others take care of you.  Apologize ahead of time for your grumpiness,
because you *will* be grumpy. Take your lady out on a nice date before the
surgery.

You will be tired from the surgery and need rest in order to recuperate.

Gentle walking is good.

Don't dwell on what you can't do, work with what you *can* do.

Prepare your home and your life for the surgery. Do your laundry, clean, pay
bills, etc.  Get your groceries, etc. Get easy to fix food. Keep it simple,
or call out for your favorite food.

Make sure you have clothes you can wear after the surgery. I had to have
friends go out and buy pants for me after my first foot/ankle surgery
because I didn't have any that would fit over my cast!

Water is your friend.  Both to drink and to take showers. Having a flexible
showerhead in the downstairs bathroom was wonderful for me.  Being clean can
be a religious experience after having surgery.

Make sure your anesthesiologist and anybody else that might charge your
insurance company are on your list of providers.

I'm still glad I had my surgeries and I hope you will recuperate speedily.

Good Luck and take care.

Xene