[Steppes] Help? Fabric dyeing - Cheesecloth

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 18:47:07 PDT 2004

Help!
I'm trying to dye, and distress, some cheesecloth to get that "fresh from the
grave" look for Halloween.  I have never dyed material before.  We DO have an
aluminum sink, and I have bought Rit Dye in "pearl grey" and black.  I have
seen several decent effects made with cheesecloth lately - Six Flags, Spirit
Halloween Store, life-size zombies and mummies.  Asking those closest to me, I
am getting conflicting opinions on this.  One says I should leave the fabric
white, another says I should use spray on fabric paints, the fabric store lady
said I should start with the grey and put in the black a little at a time.
Anyone have any experience in this area?  I'm going for a mottled, dirty
effect.  :)

Gab

=====

HL Gabrielle Honorée de Saint Pierre

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, 1998.