[Steppes] Steppes Fighter Practice - 10-17-2004

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Oct 18 20:48:03 PDT 2004

Heilsa,

A fine and wonderfully October afternoon this past Sunday. The day was
slightly overcast with the sun peeking through from time to time. The
wind varied in strength out the day.

Overall - an excellent day to be outside in the park and hitting upon
your friends. Of course,  some people who normally are out at the park,
instead they went to the State Fair - this day was the last of day for
this year. I do hope that they all had as much fun as we did in the park
at practice.

In attendance this day:

Duncan
Roc
Hosey with his son - Nikko
Chuck - a new fighter and this was his 1st practice.
Hrafn
Matt

Kathryn - she came out and watched while she knitted.

Mike and his son - Mickey. This is Mike's second time in armor.

Josh - he brought out his new close face helm to play in

Stephanie with her children and two newcomers - Joey and Sara (both are
minors),

Clayton and Gloria

Geoffrey - a long time fighter, who decided to started attending fighter
practice again

Tony - his wife sent him over to find out about the SCA and the local
fighting. He wound up staying for almost 2 hours in which we all did our
best in answering his questions.

Julie and Dale (I believe these where the names mention) -stopped by for
a short visit.

There were 4 more young people that came to watch, that I believe Lady
Kathryn knows, did not catch their names (nor are they included in the
attendance totals).

Myself - Michael Fray

Total number of people in armor and fighting:

10 people: Hosey, Geoffrey, Roc, Hrafn, Duncan, Matt, Mike, Josh, Chuck
and Clayton

Total number of children in attendance: 7

Total number of people in attendance:  25

Fighting that I recall:

Hosey with buckler and sword vs Duncan with two swords - one invert. The
inverted one was being used to black with like you would a shield.

Roc with shield and sword vs Duncan with swords

Hrafn working with Chuck on the basics

Hosey buckler and sword vs Roc with shield and sword

Josh with two swords vs Duncan with two swords - one of them invert

Hosey working with both Chuck and Duncan, with Mike joining the three of
them in the basics

Roc vs Josh - both with two swords

Mike vs Hrafn - both with shields and swords

Hrafn vs Matt - both fighting with rounds and swords

Hrafn round with sword vs Duncan - two swords - inverted

Hrafn vs Roc both with shields and swords,

While additional training was going with Hosey providing it to Tony,
Chuck, and Mike. There was a small training of two against one:

Hrafn with round and sword vs Josh with two swords and Clayton with
shield and sword

Roc working with Mike - again more along the lines of learning the
basics of how to swing a stick properly. Learning this, then shield and
footwork will come.

Chuck with shield and sword vs Duncan with round and sword

Matt with sword and round vs Clayton with sword and shield

Josh with two swords vs Hrafn with buckler and swords

Duncan with sword and round vs Matt with sword and round

Clayton with sword and round vs Roc with sword and shield

Hosey working with both Matt and Duncan

Clayton with buckler and sword vs Roc with shield and sword

Hosey providing instructions in shield wall techniques to both Roc and
Clayton while Mike and Chuck listened on the side.

Geoffrey with shield and sword vs Duncan with his set-up - 1 inverted
sword and one sword

Matt with round and sword vs Roc with shield and sword

Josh with two swords vs Geoffrey with shield and sword

Another two on one practice:
Hrafn with round and sword vs Matt with round sword and Roc with shield
and sword

Geoffrey with shield and sword vs Hrafn with round and sword

Hosey vs Geoffrey with shield and sword vs Hosey with buckler and sword

Chuck with round and sword vs Hosey with buckler and sword

Chuck with round and sword vs Geoffrey with shield and sword.

Thanks to all of you who mention that they enjoyed my poor attempt at
poetry last week.

Michael Fray