[Steppes] Petanque Competition @ wedding

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 09:49:31 PDT 2004

Greetings,

I will be hosting a Pétanque competition at Toryn and Herries' wedding
tomorrow.  Here are the details for those of you who are interested in
competing.  Spectators are always welcom!  We will have some
practice/instruction time before the actual game.  The prize for the winning
team is a French gourmet basket with wine, triple cream Brie and other edibles
(vessels and plate included).  Feel free to contact me for further information.
 (the following information can also be found on the wedding website -
http://www.glove.org/wedding/

Here are the details.
----------------------
Tournois de Pétanque

Competition at 1:00, practice at 12:30

	The "lawn bowling game" competition is a game known as Pétanque, or Jeu de
Boules, or just simply, Boules. Though similar, this game is definitely not
Bocce! Pétanque, pronounced “pay-tonk,” one of Europe’s most popular outdoor
games, is a distant cousin of horseshoes and a close relative of Bocce. The
word “Pétanque” comes from the provençal language meaning “feet together”
(pieds tanqués) which is how you play the game.

Pétanque vs Bocce
-----------------
Often, it is asked what the difference is between Bocce, the Italian bowling
game, and Pétanque.

First of all, Bocce balls are larger and solid, about the size of a grapefruit,
colored (red & green are popular), and generally made from wood or resin.
Pétanque boules are the size of an orange, always made of metal, and very, very
heavy. Bocce is played on a court of appropriate dimensions (often enclosed)
and should be smooth and flat. Pétanque, however, can be played anywhere; most
players actually prefer an uneven terrain to make it more challenging – gravel
or sand are preferred. Bocce players mostly roll their balls, where Pétanque
players will often lob them in the air. Only the counting of points and some of
the game tactics are similar. In conclusion, Pétanque terrain is more flexible,
the throws are different, and the equipment is easier to carry around.

Our competition
---------------
• We will have a half-hour of explanation of rules and practice.
• The game usually takes 1-1 ½ hours to play.
• The game generally goes to 12 or 13 points. We will be playing to 12.
• Depending on time available, we will either be playing one game to win or
best 2 out of 3 games.

Teams
-----
• Teams of two (age limit is 21).
• Two boules per team member.
• We have a set of 6 and a set of 8 steel boules available, so there will be 2
or 3 teams competing in a game.

Prize
-----
The prize for the winning team is a very nice French gourmet basket. The basket
will contain edibles to be shared among team members. A bottle of French wine
is included (hence the 21 age restriction).

See you there!
HL Gabrielle Honorée de Saint Pierre

=====

HL Gabrielle Honorée de Saint Pierre

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, 1998.