[Steppes] HL Muireann ~ Update

AlKudsi@aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Mon Oct 25 21:11:12 PDT 2004

Oh, that is good news!  Those first 24-hours after intestinal surgery are
crucial.  Please, if anyone is going up to see her, send her our love and best
wishes.  I'll try and contact her offline -- after my intestinal surgery, there
were a whole lot of practical suggestions that I learned from others or found
out for myself, that can improve healing time and comfort level.

As a group, I'll bring forth the suggestion that I made privately offline to
Catalina:  the most inspired gift I got after my hysterectomy/bowel resection
14 years ago was when the people I worked with got together and hired a maid
service to come in twice to do the dishes, laundry, change the sheets, etc. --
all those things that after having your guts cut open, you don't have the
energy to do even if you have the will to do it.  As a gift, it was several
magnitudes above flowers -- not that I didn't appreciate those -- because when you
are laying there with barely the ability to make it from the bed to the couch,
it was something wonderful to go back to bed on clean sheets, in a clean
nightgown, and know that the rest of the house and dishes were clean!  It was
organized by someone who had been there/done that, so maybe it is my turn.  I'll
look into this as a possible gift for Muireann.

If anyone else would like to join me on this venture, please contact me
offlist.  While cards and flowers, etc. are thoughtful and appreciated, knowing
that someone could use this type of help and providing it is really gratifying.

Another way is to organize a food brigade to keep her fed once she's home.
If you go this route, though, check with the recipient first -- my food brigade
brought me a lot of stuff I couldn't eat for weeks after my surgery.
Anything with roughage (peels, corn, scratchy veggies, etc.) is very uncomfortable
after intestinal surgery.  Plus, food allergies and preferences should be taken
into account.  Perhaps someone could check to find out what she likes.  Also
remember to send single serving size portions in disposable containers so that
she doesn't have to clean and return them!

Saqra