[Steppes] Info on Steppes Land Allocation for Gulf Wars

Lisa Duke arabella at elfsea.net
Mon Nov 8 20:50:52 PST 2004

Greetings Your Excellancy Borek,

Before I begin, let me say that these are my opinions, if anyone has
issue with my opinion, please don't hesitate to say something to me in
private.

How about some Ansteorran land history for Gulf War.  Let me first
prefice this by saying until this last year, 2004. I had been on the
Gulf War staff, both Ansteorra and Meridies for 4 years and know alot
about this subject.

 From the time that Sir Pendaran was the Ansteorran Land Coordinator,
Elfsea/Steppes has had that space on Queen's highway.  Do you know why?

First Sir Pendaran was the first of our Ansteoran Land Coordinators to
try to assign land for groups.  The whole permanant land option was
revamped under Sir Simon of Meridies the year before Pendaran was chosen
as our Land Coordinator.  That was my first year to work Meridies Land
Staff under Sir Simon.

I promise I am not tooting a horn here but.... These are the facts.

We were awarded that piece of property for the hard wark and dedication
and the HUGE number of volunteer hours Elfsea put into the War.  Because
I had arrived on site before Pendaran, figured out what land I wanted
for my barony, and told him so when he said it was time to lay out the
land.  He asked me why we should have this prime land. I told him that
because Elfsea out performed all other Ansteorran groups in Volunteer
hours.  We out performed all groups in the known world and among
kingdoms.  Pendaran agreed with me. The year before Elfsea had worked so
many hours that we had the most volunteer hours of any group be it
Canton, Shire, Barony, or even other Kingdom's.

I'm not familiar with last years numbers but I do know that the event
Chirurgeon and the set up Marshall for Chivalric Activities live in
Elfsea and are part of the Main Event Staff as of last year and their
hours don't count any more.  Elfsea earned that land.  We have and will
continue to be a barony focused on service.

I'm not sure what is happening now, but it might have something to do
with "COMMUNICATION" and the way the communication is carried out.

Another issue could also be one of being rewarded for the amount of work
a group volunteers and registers with the volunteer Coordinators at Gulf
War.  Preferential treatment unfortunately does go to those who put in
volunteer time and who is on the staff. The last War I attended I put in
40 hours of Volunteer time over the 10 days I was there.  And none of
that was deep nights, all during the day, working for both Meridies and
Ansteorra, in land department, security, and equestrian. I'm not the
only person, there were many others, but each person does their part for
the Gulf War Community.  People who put in the work are rewarded for
their efforts.

******************************
It has nothing to do with being the oldest barony Borek.  I am
personally offended by the comment, "pushed around the corner, hidden
behind and surrounded by Elfsea as was forced upon us last year."  If
you think you/the Barony of the Steppes are, "low man on the totem
pole," then you can do something about that.  You can volunteer your
time.  You can personally do something you are interested in and log
your volunteer hours , which goes towards our Volunteer War Point.

Borek said, "We are not being given a choice, nor given the courtesy of
giving the land location to Elfsea if their need and thereby the needs
of Ansteorra would be better served. "  The land was not given to the
Steppes it was awarded to Elfsea and we have tried to accomodate Steppes
to be good neighbors.

Just FYI - We share that plot of land between Queen's Highway, Ricardo
Di Pisa, and oh think it's Princes Highway, with Bryn Gwlad and the line
between us does change from year to year.  It has everything to do with
the number of people we try to pack into that small space.  We have,
since it's being granted to us, tried to put more people in that land
than we have room for.  It's crowded and is a terrific challenge to
accomodate everyones needs.

Please before you complain about the situation please research and get
the facts straight.

Honourable Lady Arabella de Montacute