[Steppes] News from Rolf the Red !

Snorri Hallsson snorri at houston.rr.com
Thu Dec 30 22:29:39 PST 2004

Annes, Historian of Ansteorra and Bard of the Steppes, wrote:

> I just asked a really stupid question on another list....must be my night
> for it...
>
> Who is Jon Rolfsson?
>
> Sounds like Rolf the Red had some influence in the history of the area.

Annes, Jon Rolfsson and his ladywife Gabrielle have had some influence of
their own in your home shire that I've been given permission to pass on
here.

Some years ago, back when Jon was still Pierce, a newcomer at their first
activity with the SCA was given a *very* public, fairly loud dressing-down
by another SCA participant in the middle of the noon parade at Texas
Renaissance Festival, and it was all the newcomer could do to keep from
bolting and to finish the parade.  It turns out that person suffers from a
pretty severe social anxiety disorder (which is why they're remaining
anonymous).  When the newcomer got back to the compound to collect their
things to leave, never to return to the SCA, these two good gentles sat down
and talked for a long time with the newcomer, and convinced them to stay and
give it another chance.  The newcomer did, and is still active to this day,
thanks in large part to the kindness and hospitality of Jon and Gabrielle.

So there, Annes, is a story for your history.  Yes, you have both my
permission and the permission of the anonymous newcomer to add it to your
files.

Snorri
who has Annes' number on speed dial, but figured the Steppes might
appreciate the wordfame that was given to Jon and Gab, so here 'tis.

P.S.  I'm thinking about coming up thataway second weekend in January, but I
dunno if anybody would be in town or anything ... if Sunday fighter practice
isn't too late, we might swing by ... anything else going on that weekend,
or is everyone just taking it easy?  Lemme know, while I run away very fast
from the aftermath of my own sarcasm.  See you at 12th Night!  :-D