[Steppes] Archery Practice 04/03

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 3 18:13:04 PDT 2005

The Curse of the Killdeer

What a glorious day it was this day in Mesquite. The son was warm but not
too much so. The breeze was present but not too much so, though it was
close. What a perfect day! The target butts were set where we usually put
them and things were going great....and then somebody found it....the nest
of a killdeer.

It was maybe five feet or a little less to the side from the edge of our
range and we marked it with arrows stuck in the ground so that no one would
step on it. Mama wasn't around at the moment, but she came back....and mama
wasn't happy. She screamed and hollered and sat off to the side telling us
what for.

Then it became apparent what she had been screaming.....a curse.

Arrows broke for no apparent reason. Scores were less than usual, and then
one of the butts blew forward and snapped several arrows and crossbow bolts.
Nocks broke, tips broke, shafts broke...what can I say....mama was one angry
bird.

We called it quits after one Royal Round and spent the rest of the time
telling War stories. Joey Gates, the journalist we had been expecting for
some time, had finally made it out to join us. An old friend, but a new
archer, Thomas of Eynsham joined us today and did quite well.

While we sat under the oaks and chatted, mama and papa bird returned to the
nest and all was well until we started breaking things down. I went to my
truck and got some stakes and put four of them in a square around the nest
giving mama about 7 feet of area which I then put yellow caution tape
around. Hopefully she will recognize that we don't mean her harm and the
College won't mow over her nest.

We are in need of new stands for our target butts. I will have the old ones
on hand at business meeting if anyone is interested in making some for us.
The ones we have are made of 2 x 4s, some large lag bolts and rope. They
must hold a 36" diameter straw or grass butt an a vertical or near vertical
and stand up against winds of 30 mph from the rear without falling forward.

Thanks.

Lady Linet Grey
Archery Marshal