[Steppes] Mailing list status

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 11:19:57 PDT 2005

Greylond said:

"Also, I agree, our webpage has several resources for
newcomers but they need to be told that they are
there."

We now have a bright, shiny, new Hospitaler who will be taking care of that!
Unfortunately, there were a few problems with that office, but hopefully it
will be well taken care of now.

HL Gabrielle Honorée de Saint Pierre

--- Greylond Aston <greylondaston at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, several lists inside and outside of the
> Kingdom are also "Moderated", which means that
> someone(i.e. VScribe)must read each and every post,
> then decide wether to send it on to the list. Some of
> the lists that I'm on have a very long lag time due to
> the volume that must be checked. Also, when all
> availible VScribes & Deputies are gone to events or
> whatever the list can come to a complete stop. With
> the volume of email on Steppes' list it would take
> more than one person to handle it. My point is that
> other groups' lists handle the extraneous traffic
> using different methods, not all the same. If the
> Steppes List were to have settings changed to match
> what others were doing to control the traffic, then
> our Vscribe(s) would soon be swamped.
>
> And really, how hard is it to read an address and
> subject line before responding? Right before this last
> change I was about to get off of the list due to the
> large amount of emails flooding my inbox.
>
> Also, I agree, our webpage has several resources for
> newcomers but they need to be told that they are
> there.
>

> Greylond
>
> --- Michael Smith <morganbuchanan at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm just going to say one more thing to clarify
> > before I quit.  :)  I don't
> > actually PERSONALLY care one way or the other which
> > way we do it, contrary
> > to what it may seem.  I'm more than smart enough to
> > look at the top of the
> > message before I send it.  I do try to use my
> > brainpower in the BODY of the
> > message and don't really need the extra exercise in
> > making sure it's going
> > to the correct destination, but I don't really mind.
> >  LOL  That was pretty
> > funny, Ronnie.
> >
> > If it were my decision alone to make and it was one
> > way, none of the
> > reasoning I've seen from either side would be
> > sufficient reason to change.
> >
> > The ONLY real reason I think we should do reply to
> > list rather than reply to
> > sender as the default is simply because every other
> > email list in the
> > kingdom does just that.
> >
> > Now, that being said, and there seems to be some
> > evidence that the
> > "generally accepted practice" is to reply to sender
> > in the regular world...
> > This should probably be brought up by the various
> > list admins in Ansteorra
> > and discussed between them and if the standard is
> > desired to be changed,
> > then they should do it.
> >
> > My final word, I promise.
> >
> > Morgan

“... his body curved in a graceful arc as he sank backwards through the ragged veil hanging from the arch ... the look of mingled fear and surprise on his ... wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil ...”  p. 886 (abridged).  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."  J.K. Rowling.  Bloomsbury Publishing, London.