[Steppes] Steppes Fighter Practice - 8-21-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Aug 22 16:14:55 PDT 2005

Heilsa,

Please pardon the bandwidth of the following paragraph:
I looked back over the calendar and realized that a milestone has been
reached and already gone, to some it might be minor - I will let those
who read this to decide that point. This month makes 1 year that I have
attempted to keep one and all informed of events during fighter
practice.  I do know that a large number of people have enjoyed reading
each week, based upon their feedback. Some have asked why - answer is
why not, it is our history, the history of each and everyone who comes
out; be it to get into armor and fight or just to gather on the
sidelines, we all share this history. So, I wish to say "Thank You" to
one and all for your support in this labor of my prose.

Ok, off the soap box - back to the happenings this past Sunday at
fighter practice.

Weather or Words to expressed the effects of being in Texas and time
being of August:
"There I stood upon the burning and cracked ground..."
   then there is -
"How fast does a armored fighter melt - is it in the shade or on a
sidewalk or out on the field?"
   or -
"Is it hot enough to fry a egg on that sidewalk or on that helm?"
   other questions -
"What is the temperature?"
"What is the THI?"

The one and only answer to any of the above:  "Who cares!!!"

It is August and we live in Texas - it is just hot - get over it, there
will be some
mild cooling come the holiday season.
You know the season:
first pumpkin,
follow by turkey,
and then more turkey, with that dude who dresses in red and have those
tiny reindeer.
Venison can be such a welcome change from turkey -
     remember hunting season is held same time of the year! :)

The usual reminder, which has become a boiler plate statement for last
several months:
Please bring at least 1 gallon or more of water and gatorade. I
recommend 2 gallons of fluids
and snacks to replenish your energy levels. Plus, various types of snacks -
 - cold pickles
 - oranges
 - energy bars
 - etc...
There are two water fountains in the park, plus
there are several stores close by that carry these items and more.

Everyone paced themselves, resting when their bodies spoke above
the desire to swing that sword, block with that shield. One and all had
supplied themselves with water and gatorade, then it was back out to
fight some more.

A brief announcement from Lord Hrafn Olafsson - Steppes Knight Marshal

"Just a reminder from your friendly neighborhood Knight Marshall. There
will be no official fighter practice on 09/04/05 due to a conflict
with GOTHIC WAR XV.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this event, it is held in the
Western region of the Kingdom, and is an EXCELLENT opportunity to get
in some melee and tournament fighting. I would recommend attending you
possibly can."

Gothic War:
Labor Day Weekend - September 2nd through 5th
Sweetwater, Texas - it is the old site
Heavy fighting melees on Saturday, with tournaments on Sunday.
Gothic War is also host to the Amazon household 25th anniversary
celebration,
the annual Crane Party. Haflas are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday night
Gothic webpage <http://adlersruhe.ansteorra.org/Gothic.html>

Announcement for a Tiny Tournament by HL Chiara Francesca Arianna d'Onofri:
August 28th - Sunday before Labor Day weekend and Gothic Wars:
"Sunday, August 28, 2005, St Augustine's day, Our daughter, Alexandria
Victoria Francesca, will be celebrating the completion of her first full
decade of life. In her honor I will be sponsoring a tiny tourney.
Alexandria
will be handing out ribbons to the fighters and she and the other children
that arrive will watch the excitement."

"We will have prizes for the fighters!"

"Italian children celebrate their birthdays with friends, family, a special
cake with candles and wonderful food. Italian children sing the same
birthday song only the lyrics are translated to "buon compleanno a te"!
Candles are blown out, and wishes are made. Good luck is passed on by
pulling the birthday child's ear. The ear is pulled as many times as how
old the child has now become."

"We have a list mistress, we will need a herald or two, we need marshals."

"Please come join us at Mary Head Carter Park in Carrollton Texas, be a
part
of her celebration. We will begin at 2pm and when the fighting is done we
will have brisket and cake. Please feel free to bring drinks and other
picnic goodies."

"tutti gli dei!
HL Chiara Francesca Arianna d'Onofrio"

Fighter Practice involves just that - practice and training. To reach
our goals, then both words come into focus.

Training involves separate levels -
Basic level to "good"
Man-At-Arms and/or Squire entry level
Centurion level
Tournament level

Practice is to reach the above levels, maintain those same levels,  then
going beyond those levels to stretch one's boundaries.

People in armor:  12
Children:  6
Total in attendance: 23

Weapons used this day:
Sword

Shields used this day:
Heater
Round
Buckler
War Shield
Rectangle Shield

In attendance this day:

Baron Fritz der Rothirsch,
     and daughter
HL Chiara Francecsa Arianna d'Onofrio (Apprentice to Master Fritz)
   HL Chiara - Captain of the Steppes Baronial Guard

Clan Ross:
Sir Earl Duncan Arthur Ross
    and daughter - Tressa
Centurion Morgan Buchanan (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)  - Central Region
Knight Marshal
Centurion Tomas Niallagain (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)  - Captain of
Elfsea Baronial Guard
     and son - Daniel
Lord Richard of Durnsford (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)
Lord Hrafn Olafsson (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan) - Steppes Knight Marshal
     and his lady,
        Lady Elizabeta di Valore della Rosa (Apprentice to Duchess Larissa)
Eric

Condottieri:
Lord CinaedOHosey and children
   daugther - Tori
   and sons - Jon and Nikko
Lord Michael Kettering

Fray:
Caol
    and his lady, Lady Michele

HL Francesca Laviana Sansovino
HL Cu Dub MacArtuir

Till
Isaac

Individual fights witness this day:
Lord Richard with round and sword vs Eric with heater and sword
Sir Duncan with heater and sword vs Baron Fritz with rectangle and sword
Lord Hrafn with heater and sword vs Isaac with round and sword
Sir Duncan with heater and sword vs Lord Richard round and sword
Eric with heater and sword vs Till with heater and sword
Baron Fritz with rectangle and sword vs Isaac with round and sword
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword vs Baron with rectangle and sword
Lord CinaedOHosey with war shield and sword vs Hrafn with round and sword
Lord Richard with round and sword vs Lord CinaedOHosey buckler and sword
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword vs Caol with kite and sword
Lord Hrafn with heater and sword vs Baron Fritz with rectangle and sword
Michele with kite and sword vs Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
Centurion Tomas with heater and sword vs Baron Fritz with rectangle and
sword
Centurion Morgan with buckler and sword vs Michele with kite and sword
Caol with round and sword vs Tomas with heater and sword
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword vs Caol with heater and sword
Sir Duncan with heater and sword vs Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Michele with kite and sword vs Centurion Morgan with buckler and sword
Lord Richard with round and sword vs Caol with heater and sword
Centurion Morgan with buckler and sword vs Michele with round and sword
Lord CinaedOHosey with buckler and sword vs Centurion Morgan with
buckler and sword
Sir Duncan with heater and sword vs Till with heater and sword

YIS,
 Lord Michael Kettering
  Combat Archer for the Condottieri
  King's Archer