[Steppes] Steppes Fighter Practice - 01-23-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Jan 24 16:23:40 PST 2005

Heilsa,

The afternoon was bright and sunny, true the temperatures were on the
cool side. The wind out of the south help in warming things up, thus the
temperatures were far better than what they were the previous Sunday
(1-16-05).

In attendance this day:

Baron Fredrich (Fritz von) der Rothirsch
Centurion Morgan Buchanan
Lady Elizabeta di Valore della Rosa,
Lord Hrafn Olafsson - Steppes Knight Marshal,
Lord CinaedOHosey and his children - Tori, Jon, and Nikko
Lord Seamus - member of the Black Talon (believe this is correct)
Wes (not aware of SCA name)
Jessie
Josh and his lady Teresa
Joe and his lady Hilary
Linda and her son Levi - arrived late toward the end of the practice.

Fighters in armor this day: 6
Baron Fritz, Lord Hrafn Olafsson, Lord CinaedOHosey, Lord Seamus, Wes,
and Joe

Number of children this day: 4
Total number in attendance this day: 17

This report of activities held at practice will be short, not due to the
weather, but to various activities that I was pursing other than that of
historian.

The bouts that I do remember:

Hrafn with round shield and sword vs Wes with shield and sword
Baron Fritz with shield and sword vs Hrafn
CinaedOHosey with new war shield and sword vs Hrafn
Baron Fritz with shield and sword vs Wes with shield and sword
Seamus with war shield and sword vs Baron Fritz
Seamus with war shield vs Hrafn with round shield and sword
Wes with shield and sword vs Seamus with war shield and sword
Baron Fritz with shield and sword vs Joe with shield and sword
CinaedOHosey with war shield and sword vs Joe with shield and sword
Wes with shield and sword vs Joe with shield and sword

Plus, there was additional instruction being provided by Baron Firth,
Hrafn and CinaedOHosey in various techniques to improve one's fighting
ability.

Below is the activities that I was engaged in. Thus the short list of
bouts for this week.

Spent the 1st hour or so working with a possible future combat archer in
discussing the requirements to get on the field in regard to armor, what
type of bow, the basic set of rules, etc. I walked the individual
through how to build a combat arrow - fiberglass shafts, the different
combat heads that are available, the various types of APD's, etc. This
included the various types of tools that I have either acquired or
actually built to accomplish this.

In addition, was playing hospitaler to several mundanes that stopped by
and expressed a hearty interest in what was happening in the park this
day.  Pointed them to web site for both Ansteorra and Steppes.

Michael Fray