[Steppes] SCA at renfaires was News from Rolf the Red !

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 00:00:20 PST 2005

Actually, the facilities and the grounds are far better these days.  I actually
worked a few years ago out there and had a lot of fun.  If they were to let us
work a compound and a melee demonstration or games like we did at TRF while
still allowing us to pass up Memorial Day weekend, I'd be for it.  But, I agree
with Saqra - if we had to pay entry fee AND work the demo, I wouldn't do it.

Saqra, did you know I still have the "Weekend Guide" from the opening of
Scarborough Faire?  Yes, our members are on the cover page picture.  Inside,
there is a picture of Leonitus in all his splendor standing on the castle
rampart.

Gabrielle

--- AlKudsi at aol.com wrote:

> The Steppes helped Scarborough Faire get started and had a significant
> presence the first few years, but because we could not promise a group to
> work over
> Memorial Weekend (having other fish to fry -- like Steppes Warlord), we were
> then asked to pay to get in.  I, for one, was deeply offended at the time,
> and
> did not and do not desire to pay to work for four or five weekends.  I was
> also deeply offended that those who worked the Faire were expected to put up
> with
> absolutely primitive facilities for entirely too many years while the owners
> were making a lot of bucks.  Although my experience there has been very
> limited (I don't like putting money in the pockets of those who take
> advantage of
> others) in the last 10 years, it is my understanding that facilities are
> still
> far from ideal.
>
> This tirade is strictly my own opinion, and others may have had a more
> pleasant experience with SF.  But I do distinctly remember the meetings we
> had where
> the populace voted overwhelmingly not to participate because of the problems
> we had encountered there.  Maybe things have improved, but like Nuala said in
>
> one of her other posts, we are all getting greyer, and I, for one, have a lot
>
> of other commitments that I do during the time frame of Scarborough Faire.
>
> HL Saqra al-Kudsi

=====
“... his body curved in a graceful arc as he sank backwards through the ragged veil hanging from the arch ... the look of mingled fear and surprise on his ... wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil ...”  p. 886 (abridged).  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."  J.K. Rowling.  Bloomsbury Publishing, London.