[Steppes] SCA at renfaires was News from Rolf the Red !

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 09:47:04 PST 2005

Thanks, Robin.  I had always wondered what exactly happened.  Was that before
or during your tenure as Baron of the Steppes?

Gab.

--- Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:

> Linet responded to Mikael:
>
> >> The solution to that one is easy - start having Warlord at
> >> Scarborough Faire ...
>
> > Actually, its a reasonable idea.
>
> But not, as it happens,  a new one.
>
> > Especially since we hate the ever flooding
> > Canton site. There is also another Ren-faire opening up around here. Let
> > them know what our needs are, negotiate for a few weekends. It could be
> > win-win.
>
> When Scarborough Faire first opened, the Steppes decided that we didn't want
> to get in the position that Stargate was with TRF, and besdides, due to
> Steppes Warlord, we weren't starved for operating capital.
>
> So we negotiated a deal in which we would work all weekends except Memorial
> Day weekend, in return for the right to hold events during the rest of the
> year.  That worked for a couple of years, and we had several events there,
> including the Tournament of the Cloth of Gold.  But Scarborough Faire wasn't
> happy that we weren't there on their biggest weekend, so there was some
> friction.  Then their lawyers told them they couldn't let us use the site,
> and the agreement fell through.
>
> Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

=====
“... his body curved in a graceful arc as he sank backwards through the ragged veil hanging from the arch ... the look of mingled fear and surprise on his ... wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil ...”  p. 886 (abridged).  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."  J.K. Rowling.  Bloomsbury Publishing, London.