[Steppes] trivia ...Fair Park 12th Night history

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 09:19:21 PDT 2005

Cairenn,
You sent this to me privately, whether on accident or not, but I think it
should be shared with the populace.

I don't know about the ladies in Elizabethan.  I remember seeing a lot of blue
skin on the upper half. :D

Most of us layered tunics and wore headresses or hoods.  I'm glad I did.  Jon
won early period costume for that event.  He was wearing thick green leggings,
a heavy green tunic, home-made deerskin/leather vest, fleece-lined boots, and a
large yellow hood with liripipe that wrapped around the head and lay on the
shoulders.  He was comfortable and he looked very authentic.

Gabrielle

--- Cairenn Day <cpenny at swbell.net> wrote:

> In many ways, it was a period indoor event! No central heating. I think
> that the only people that weren't freezing were the ladies in full
> Elizabethan, and those of us that showed up, in full 'viking' garb. I
> had a linen chemise, a wool tunic and a linen apron-dress. I did have
> some leggings on under it, also. What helped me out, was, I had just cut
> new inner soles for whatever shoes, I had. I had cut them from a fleece
> on sheepskin, and they really helped my feet stay warm. After the
> encounter with that 'warmth' absorbing cement floor, I know why the
> castles had 'rushes' on the floor. It seemed that the floor, just pulled
> the heat from your body.
>
> Cairenn

“Of course I know how to work it,” said Lupin, waving his hand impatiently, “I helped write it.  I’m ‘Mooney’ – that was my friends’ nickname for me.” (p.254)... “... And that’s how we came to write the Marauder’s Map, and sign it with our nicknames.  Sirius is ‘Padfoot.’  Peter is ‘Wormtail.’  James was ‘Prongs.’ ”  (p. 260)  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  J.K. Rowling.  Bloomsbury Publishing, London (1999).