[Steppes] Fw: Military Gifts

Gerita/Carolle Cox hpockets at verizon.net
Sun Mar 27 17:52:14 PST 2005

: Good question, Your Grace!!

I take the liberty of posting this to the list, that they may also see
the information.
:
: Our new unit is a medical group stationed near Kandahar.  Their job is
: to care for wounded soldiers, and in their *copious* spare time, look
: after the health of locals who become ill or injured. Their currently
: posted "wish list" contains the following items:
:
: Microwavable (but not frozen or refrigerated) foods,
: any non-perishable foods and snacks,
: Bread mixes for their bread maker (don't ask, ok?)
: Crackers
: Rice Krispy Treats
: Cereals
: Baby wipes
: Clorox wipes
:
: Special requests from the women:
: Hygiene items
: Hand and foot care items
: lotions
: Dove deodorant
: Bedhead Moisture Maniac Shampoo and Conditioner
: Hair ties and scrunchies
:
: Naturally, things like playing cards, small toys for children (but NO
: dolls - they're against Moslem precepts), magazines (not girly ones,
: though, ditto the preceding), DVDs, CDs, books of any kind, are always
: welcome, as are things like balls for outdoor play, etc.  I hear the
: popular books presently are nonfiction ones that guide one in
investing
: one's money for the future! This unit has no television yet, so
: magazines like Time that are basically news are really appreciated, as
: are letters from us, telling what's going on around here. These boxes
: are opened, and the contents stacked on a given table for soldiers to
: take items they need.  Generally, it takes less than a day for
: everything to disappear.
:
: Chocolate is VERY popular, but since it is now over 80F during the
day,
: the best we can do is things like tootsie rolls, chocolate cookies
(not
: the frosted ones though), and the like.  Please be careful not to send
: anything that might melt and make a mess in the box.  It also breaks
the
: soldiers' hearts to gleefully bust into a box of well-imagined
delights,
: only to find a gooey mess of things they'd love to have had.
:
: And don't forget: at more than $40 each box for postage, donations
towards
: that expense are also more than welcome.
:
: I'm also in touch with a group that sends things to K-9 officers for
: their dogs.  Generally, it's dog toys and treats, leashes, bedding,
etc.
: The military provides the absolute necessities for the dogs, but
nothing
: over.  Recently, I heard of a unit begging for FOOD for their animals.
: Does make you wonder what the High Command considers absolute
: necessities, eh?
:
: In service,
: Gerita
:
:
:
: DFWchinlovers at yahoogroups.com
: www.japanesechinrescue.org
: http://carollesknitting.blogspot.com
:
: People are like stained glass windows.  They sparkle and shine when
the
: sun is out, but when darkness sets in, their beauty is revealed only
if
: there is a light from within. -- Elizabeth Kübler-Ross
:
: