[Steppes] Fwd: [Ansteorra] Youthful Combatants

DonnelShaw@aol.com DonnelShaw at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 11:17:59 PST 2005

I agree we have to make our children our priority in and out of the  SCA. As
parents we must make to the time to work with them on what ever skill  they
need or wish to develop. As a group even if we do not have children working
with the children needs to be a priority. They are our future and must have
skills taught. If they are left to their own inventions it is not always good.
That means we must make sacrifices of our time for them before, during, and
after events.

We have made great strides with the Youth Boffer program in the last few
years. I want to thank all who have given up their time and taken an interest in
the children by marshaling, list mistressing and support. I especially want
to  thank the current and past B and B who have made Youth Combat a priority.
Centurion Morgan as KM for Steppes, has always made sure there is a list
field set up for Youth Boffer at Steppes Warlord when I cannot get out there
early on Friday. (The last day of school really puts a crimp in getting out  early
to S. W.) The List Babes are always ready to help and make sure the  children
are a priority. I also want to thank Suzana and Agilwolf for donating  prizes.

The number of children that participate has increased. In fact the top  rated
youth boffer tournament is held at Steppes Warlord.  We are seeing  the
children in the Youth combat community bonding together. They spend time  talking
about fighting  and techniques as well as learning about  hounorable behavior
on and off the field. Also, it is improtant to be  responcible for thier own
things. The idea of team work is starting to develop  and they are working
together. All are skills that are  constuctive.  Of course the level of the skill
all depends on the  child's age and development.

 In fact the realization of children in the SCA has only really  happened in
the last few years(10-15) At one time the norm in Steppes was young  and
single and only 4 children in our area. Three of them belonging to Ann  Lousise and
Exidor.

I would like all to understand that this new program for  the 16 and 17 year
olds developed by HRM  is not under the Youth Combat. It will be under the KM
office and they will  only be fighting in the  Adult program. The child will
have to have  parental permission and the EM will be the only one who can
approve his or her  participation with the adults. They will also have to have some
kind of marking  system so those who do not wish to fight someone of thier
age will know when  they step on to the field. Once they fight with adults they
can not come back to  Youth combat. (There will be a small window of time to
reverse the decision but  at this time we don't have spacifics.)

But don't worry for those of us (parents) who do not choose to allow our
children to fight with adults there will still be a program  within The Youth
Combat program for those of age 16 and  17 to still get to fight. I know that I
will not be allowing my son to fight  adults until he has reached 18. He will
stay in the Youth combat program.

What we need are more adult fighters to take the time to train with the
children. If you are interested please see me. I will be out Sunday for  FP.

The bottom line is that we want the best for our children.

If you have an opinion weather it be Pro or Con for the children  16 and 17
fighting with the adults please send your opinion to  the EM and  my self. Both
sides need to be voiced and respected.

In Service to  the Children
In remembering our past we must look to our future.
Lady  Maili Donnel MacGregor
Deputy Earl Marshal - Youth Combat
_Youth Combat of Ansteorra_ (http://youthcombat.ansteorra.org/)