[Steppes] Joint War Practice of Steppes and Elfsea: 1-02-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Tue Jan 4 16:10:07 PST 2005

Heilsa,

The next Joint War Practice will be held at Veterans Park in Arlington
on February 6th, 2005 at 2 PM.  There will be NO combat archery at this
park.

The last Joint War practice will be held on March 6th, 2005 at Mary
Heads Carter park in Carrollton at 2 PM. This is the last opportunity
for a War Practice prior for those leaving for Gulf Wars. There will be
Combat Archery at this practice.

A request - Would someone please forward to the Elfsea list and/or
others lists as needed. Thank You in advance.

The rain was a tad early or at least per the weather cast from Saturday
Night - by about 12 hours or so. Some could say that weatherman spoke
with "fork"cast tongue on this one. The rain started in the early
morning hours before the sky lightened enough to see that it was pewter
like. The rain had stopped by 1:20 PM or so, with the water that was
standing in the low places to drain away. By 2 PM and people had started
to arrive. And by the time both of their Excellencies had arrive, the
sun had even poke through some rays to welcome for the 3rd Official
Joint War Practice  being held in Steppes at Mary Heads Carter Park in
Carrollton. Then the clouds closed in again, but the rain held off until
we were completely done with the practice and even had finished packing
our armor in our vehicles to leave.

As usual, many of us went to a local buffet for dinner and hold a post
briefing of the day's events.

People in attendance:

Sir Baron Qadi 'Abd al-Mahdi Jamal ibn Hakim - Baron of Steppes
Baron Armand Dragonetti - Baron of Elfsea

Centurion Tomas Niallagain and his lady HL Rixende de Rouen (Seneschal
of Elfsea) - Tomas is a squire of Sir Duncan. Lady Rixende fighting rapier.

Centurion Morgan Buchanan - a huge Thank You for coming out and
Marshaling this practice.

Hrafn Olafsson - Steppes Knight Marshal
Daire da Haya - Elfsea Knight Marsh
Lord Dirk the Just - Elfsea Rapier Marshal

Lady Chiara Francecsa Arianna d'Onofrio
Lord CinaedOHosey and his children - Tori, Jon, and Nikko
Lord Roc the Bold and his lady  - Lady Icia - Roc is man-at-arms to Sir
Mahdi
Lord Seamus - a Thank You to Lord Seamus for coming over from the rapier
practice to assist Centurion Morgan in marshaling the restricted
field/hill scenarios.
Lord Alvin and his lady - Lady Maili Donnel MacGregor - the Deputy Earl
Marshal for Youth Combat, and their children - Emily and Richard Nine
Fingers

Elizabeta di Valore della Rosa
Josh
Mike and his son Mikey
Chris from Dragon Fire Tor - believe SCA name is Allonge(sp?)
Louie
Randy
Gerard
and myself - Lord Michael Fray

There four separate styles of fighting were practiced today and enjoyed
by both the participates and the by-standers:
Heavy fighters:
Sir Mahdi, Baron Armand, Centurion Tomas, Hosey, Roc, Hrafn, Daire,
Josh,  Louie, Randy, Chiara, Chris, Mike, and Randy

Rapier fighters - 4
Hl Rixende, Dirk the Just, Gerald,  and Seamus

Youth fighter - 1
Richard Nine Fingers

Combat Archery - 1
Michael Fray

Total number of  fighters: 20
Total number of children:  6
Total attendance:  29

A warm-up series of one-on-one fighting and even a bear pit was held
prior to choosing sides for the Joint War Practice. These one-on-one and
bear pit fights will be at the end of this report in regard to what type
of weapon and shield being used and who fought who. I did record 58
separate fights this day. And I know that I missed several due to
getting into my armor and making ready for the War practice.

Louie instructing Richard Nine Fingers in Youth Boffer fighting - the
mechanics of footwork, shield, and how to throw a shot. This included
both offense and defense means of fighting, how to conduct a fighting
advance and more importantly how to conduct a fighting withdraw.

Randy, who recently had knee surgery, came and got into armor from the
waist up. Both Daire and CinaedOHosey provided instruction in fighting
to the extend possible for Randy for training purposes, i.e., upper body
movements only, no maneuvering involved. CinaedOHosey working with Randy
with buckler and sword. Daire taking his turn to work with Randy with
shield and sword.

All the experienced fighters provided instruction to lesser experienced
fighters as they fought prior to the War Practice later in the day.

Centurion Morgan arrived and assume the Marshal In Charge position for
these War scenarios. Later Seamus came off from the rapier portion of
the practice and assisted Morgan when we went to the top of the earth
berm for the restricted filed/hill battles. The out of boundary area was
the bottom of the berm or hill.

Despite the weather and the ground was in fair condition, enough so that
even I took the field with my bad knee for all battles this day.  I
walked the field prior to getting into armor and deemed firm enough for
me to get into armor. And during the course of the various scenarios, I
even to evade (running backwards away) any opposing shieldmen that
decided to run me down and kill this combat archery. Yes, there was some
slippery areas and when an area became too slippery, then we just moved
to another section of the park and started another battle.

 From my count or at least what I recall, the scenarios broke down into:
15 open field battles
12 restricted and/or hill battles

all of these battles had Combat Archery involved in them.

The sides were chosen by the two Barons from each barony - Steppes and
Elfsea.
Sir Mahdi and Baron Armand

Sir Mahdi's side - Hosey, Roc, Louie, Hrafn, Mike, Michael Fray

Baron Armand's side - Centurion Tomas, Daire, Josh, Matt, Alvin, Chris

I will recall the list of individual fights that happen prior to the War
practice, the bear pit and individual fighting were happening at the
same time:

Centurion Tomas with sword and great ax vs. Hrafn with round shield and
sword
Hrafn with round shield and sword vs Louie with shield and sword
Alvin with kite shield and sword vs Hrafn with round and sword
Alvin with kite shield and sword vs Chris with shield and sword
Chris with shield and sword vs Tomas with sword and great ax
Hrafn with round and sword vs Chris with shield and sword
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword vs Louie with shield and sword
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword vs Alvin with kite shield and sword
Alvin with kite shield and sword vs Hrafn with round shield and sword
Louie with shield and sword vs Alvin with kite shield and sword
CinaedOHosey with buckler and sword vs Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword
CinaedOHosey with buckler and sword vs Alvin with kite shield and sword
CinaedOHosey with buckler and sword vs Josh with great sword
Josh with great sword vs Alvin with kite shield and sword
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword va Chris with shield and sword
Mike with oblong round and sword vs Baron Armand with shield and sword
Centurion Tomas with sword and great ax vs Roc with shield and sword
Baron Armand with shield and sword vs Hrafn with round shield and sword
CinaedOHosey with buckler and sword vs Alvin with kite shield and sword
Tomas with sword and great ax vs Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword
Hrafn with round and sword vs Chris with shield and sword
CinaedOHosey with buckler and sword vs Louie with shield and sword
Mike with oblong round shield and sword vs Chris with shield and sword
Tomas with sword and great ax vs Mike with oblong round shield and sword
Tomas with sword and great ax vs Roc with buckler and sword
Roc with buckler and sword vs Hrafn with round shield and sword
Alvin with kite shield and sword vs Baron Armand with shield and sword
Chris with shield and sword vs Mike with oblong round shield and sword
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword vs Alvin with kite shield and sword
Roc with buckler and sword vs Hrafn with round and sword
Baron Armand with shield and sword vs Mike with oblong shield and sword
Tomas with sword and great ax vs Alvin with kite shield and sword
Baron Armand with shield and sword vs  Roc with shield and sword
Alvin with kite shield and sword vs Hrafn with round and sword
Hrafn with round and sword vs Mike with oblong shield and sword
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword vs Baron Armand with shield and sword
Chris with shield and sword vs Matt with shield and sword
Baron Armand with shield and sword vs Hrafn with round and sword
Roc with buckler and sword vs Matt with shield and sword
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword vs Mike with oblong shield and sword
Hrafn with round shield and sword vs Mike with oblong shield and sword
Baron Armand with shield and sword vs Mike with oblong shield and sword
Josh fighting floretine vs Tomas with sword and great ax
Josh fighting floretine vs Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword
Mike with oblong shield and sword vs Roc with buckler and sword
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword vs Hrafn with round and sword
Roc with buckler and ax vs Tomas with sword and great ax
Baron Armand with shield and sword vs Matt with shield and sword
Matt with shield and sword vs Hrafn with round and sword
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword vs Josh fighting floretine
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword vs Roc with buckler and ax
Tomas with sword and great ax vs Josh fighting floretine
Tomas with sword and great ax vs Mike with oblong round shield and sword
Chris with shield and sword vs Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword
Hrafn with round shield and sword vs Baron Armand with shield and sword
Sir Mahdi with kite shield and sword vs Matt with shield and sword.