[Steppes] Coronation

Greg Shetler mordockvonrugen at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 08:40:55 PST 2005

Funny thing about the wording of Texas law with respect to "weapons": nearly
all "weapons" are illegal except when used for historical re-enactment,
hunting, or sporting.  The law uses some complex wording, but it comes down
to sporting - bow and arrow for hunting or sport shooting, throwing knives
for sport throwing, axe for historical show and/or sport throwing, dagger as
historical replica, etc.  Out of SCA or sport context, those would be
illegal.  In SCA and/or sport context, they're legal....

For those interested, here is an extract of relevant law from
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf :
PC CH. 46. WEAPONS
PC §46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this Chapter:
(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made,
or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by
striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to
the following:
(A) blackjack;
(B) nightstick;
(C) mace;
(D) tomahawk.
[snip]
(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being
thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of
inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person
with the instrument.
PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits
an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on
or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this
section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the
offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by
this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(4) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity
on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is
directly en route between the premises and the actor's residence, if the
weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

In general, sporting equipment used in sporting context is not considered a
weapon.  Sporting equipment used with intent to injure is a weapon....

Gotta love semantics, especially when lawyers have fun with it. :D

Dux