[Steppes] 12th NIght fun

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 10 11:58:55 PST 2005

Personally, I, also, was having too much fun to complain about anything.

I was delighted with the magic of the lighting. It reminded me of the golden
glow at that very memorable last 12th Night celebration at Olla Podrida.

The banners were just gorgeous. Must have been remniscent of a Period
feasting hall. Though I am fairly ancient in age, I really don't go back
*that* far! ;-)

The costumes were breathtaking. How anyone could choose "Best" was a
Herculean task I wouldn't wish on anyone.

And the food---ah, the feast. Everything was excellent and masterfully
flavored. My personal favorites of the side dishes were the greens (and I
don't normally like greens) and the marvelous mushroom thingy.

Although I didn't get to see all the table decorations,that Phoenix made out
of edible stuff was astonishing. Never saw an edible like that outside of
gourmet magazine covers.

The processions and elegance of the elevations were spectacular. One person
near me, at their first event, gasped, "Oh, my god, those are real birds!"
when one flapped its wings. Very effective. :-)

As "Svanhildt" (the Valkyrie with the moulting cape), I had one of the best
times at a 12th Night I have ever had. We didn't do it to win any prizes or
earn points toward something in the future. We just did it for oldtime,
madcap fun and may achieved it, since so many of you asked us to pose for
pictures. Thank you. We'd love to see some of them sometime.

Thanks, too, to our glorious Warlord for his good humor. He's OK in my book.

As an aside, when a laughing Baron and Baroness called the Valkyrie
"sisters" up in a "group troup" to the front, some of you may not have heard
it in the spontaneous, musical mayhem, but those masters of mischief, House
Arkham, heralded our approach to the thrones with a band of kazoos. Thanks,
Arkham!

Definitely not a 12th Night to have missed!
Vivat to everyone who contributed in any way, large or however small.

When I am even older and sit in a rocking chair on a porch somewhere, I
shall close my eyes and remember this 12th Night, smiling to myself, and the
younger ones who see me will "knowingly" tap their temples at each other,
nodding in my direction and thinking what they will---but I shall know the
truth about why I look that way, for all of you will live again in my
memories...

In gratitude, now and later...

HL Lete Bithespring
aka "The Moulting Valkyrie"   ;-)