[Steppes] Horse Blood Used For Dye?

AlKudsi@aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 00:58:31 PST 2005

I replied privately, but felt with the continued discussion to put in my two
cents worth publically.  I've now gone through five of my fiber arts books
that cover dying, and find absolutely *NO* mention of the use of blood for a dye
(from any creature).  The mollusk source is the only one mentioned for a true
purple, although some berries can give you a reddish-purple (such as certain
varietals of grapes -- hence the nasty wine stains).  Having helped deliver a
colt once (when much younger), which is a bloody and messy occasion, I've seen
dried horse blood, which is the same color as any other mammal blood when dry
-- reddish brown.  It leaves a nasty brown stain if it sets without any
mordants.  If used in conjunction with a mordant, maybe it could produce more of a
purplish color, but I doubt it.

Horse urine was used as a mordant, as was human urine, but no mention of
blood as a dye.  Wonder if this is one of those apocryphal stories that are
assumed true because they are mentioned on the internet?

The people I'd like to see response would be HL Suzanna or Lady Gerita, since
as an herbalist and fiber artist respectively, they might have additional
insights.  Ladies??

HL Saqra