[Steppes] Horse Blood Used For Dye?

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 05:45:26 PST 2005

Back in my mundane---'scuse me---"modern" days of being a gallery artist, I
remember reading about a famous, Spain-Spanish, modern matador's using the
blood of the bulls he killed in the ring for pen drawings he did of the
bulls. I saw the reddish brown drawings accompanying the article. He had
extraordinary talent in that field, too.

The use of the blood for drawings may have been unusual (the reason the
article was written?), but the killing of the bull for an ancient game's
sport for that people and the use of the expensive bull's carcass to feed
their poor was not, whatever our personal opinions are, a different culture
and an ocean away.

Lete