[Steppes] A thought on A&S judging

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 7 05:32:51 PST 2005

Good contribution, Gabrielle! How kind (and brave) you are to offer it.

A view of the other side of the timewarp, if you will excuse the personal
nature of the remarks:

I used to be in the "modern" watercolor artists' competition circuit and
it's somewhat the same there. [Disclaimer: I won enough awards (cash and
just ribbon-honor) that my own "artist's soul" was satisfied, though my
feelings were sometimes hurt with the insensitivity of the judges' egos.]

Some of the modern art judges could be real prima donnas in their statements
and preferences. Knowing the judges' tastes was sometimes key to success or
failure. (Frederick Taubes ignored paintings, however wonderful, that had
purple in them.) I've seen a few judges who just privately judged, left
their written comments, and got out of town before the awards ceremony! :-6

We may have judging problems in SCA competitions, but I don't thing we've
gotten quite *that* bad. However, there is always room for improvement, both
for artists and for judges. I think it was Lady Nuala who said that the
definition of "insanity" was "doing the same thing and expecting a different
result." ;-)

HL Lete Bithespring
("Discouragement is an occupational disease of the artist!"--Elaine
Crittenden)