[Steppes] The need for elbow room in the storage locker

Steppes Seneschal steppes.seneschal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 17:26:02 PST 2005

Hey Guys,

OK, the locker has been cleaned, stacked  and re-stacked repeatedly.
Everything has been crammed in as tight as it will go, but the simple
truth is we have outgrown the space.  The second problem is that only
a few still live near the locker, which becomes a real problem finding
and keeping a quartermaster.

Here is the plan.  The rent on the locker has been payed up to
Warlord.  If we are to move to a larger locker or even a different
location, this would be the best time to do it.  What we would do is
load the entire locker onto the truck for Warlord, and return after
the event to the new, larger location.   We usually take 90% anyway,
the extra 10 is no big deal.  I have already arranged at work to have
that Friday and Monday off for this.  I suggest we use the same size
truck as we did for 12th Night.  That will give us plenty of loading
room.

We currently use a 10 by 15 foot locker with an 8 foot ceiling. It is
$93 a month with our long term rental discount.  I suggest we go to
the next size up.  A 10 by 20 is what I am currently leaning towards.
 At our current location, Lock-N Key Mini Storage, the rent on a 10 by
20 foot locker would be $106 per month (only $13 a month for 400 more
cubic feet).

I would ask the barony to inquire at the 24-hour access self storage
places in your area, and email me the price of a 10 by 20 foot space.
My hope is to find something more central to the barony in he $100 to
$130 range.  If they are full, don't give up.  Remember, we will not
be needing the new space till June 1st.  Get the information anyway
and we will see what develops.

Since I live in Carrollton, I have started looking in this general area.

U-Store on Trinity Mills has a 10 by 20 for $100 per month and a 10 by
25 for  $119
The manager told me they stay pretty full.  It's a nice place and each
unit has an alarm.

PS Texas Holdings, LTD. (i.e., Public Storage) is a bit higher with
their 10 by 20 at $135 per month.  This includes a long term storage
discount.  The price drops to $126 for a year long  storage.  One
major benefit with these guys is that they have a deal worked out with
Penski rental trucks.  You tell them what size truck you need, and it
will be waiting for you at the office.  You also leave the truck there
when you are through. It's a nice perk.

I would appreciate it if  you all would look around and gather
information as I did.    Remember, 24-hour access is the big thing.
We have a tendency to show up at odd hours.

Hey, any support in this would be greatly appreciated!  :-)

Jon Rolfsson
Steppes Seneschal