[Steppes] Mailing list status

mikaelc mikaelc at airmail.net
Thu Apr 14 19:24:47 PDT 2005

What she said ... me too

Mikael (who's had a pain pill)

-----Original Message-----
From: steppes-bounces+mikaelc=airmail.net at ansteorra.org
[mailto:steppes-bounces+mikaelc=airmail.net at ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of
Catherine Sims
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 7:04 PM
To: steppes at ansteorra.org

I appreciate the examples cited, and agree that they were problems.
That said,
I was extremely tired of reading 10-15 "me too" posts and other things
that
should have gone privately rather than to the list.  I have a limited
amount of
time to read e-mail, and I appreciate that list traffic is down
significantly.
I used to spend quite a bit of time reading the first few posts in a
thread,
and then having to delete things that should have gone privately.  I am
on
several other, non-SCA related, lists and most of them work the way the
Steppes
list does currently.  When that change was made to the Socknitters'
list, for
example, traffic dropped from about 50 messages a day down to about 20.
Much
more manageable for those of us with limited time.

Just a "responsible" opposing viewpoint.

Arianne/Cathy

--- Trish Kvamme <ladyoftherose at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Love to give you some examples
>
> 1.  A gentleman was on his way to Gulf war, he was out earlier than
most,
> saw alot of traffic cops setting up for speeders.  He emailed this
> information via  his phone, but sadly, it was the silly reply thing
and went
> to one individual, that individual didnt know it was not a solo
message,
> thus no one got the email.
>
> 2.  A new archer moved here from An Tir and wanted to get directions
> practice and to get in personal touch with the community, once again,
reply
> all wasn't a normal list option, and his information was lost.
Luckily he
> met Michael Fray later on and found the community.
>
> 3.  I posted for a public workshop some time back for sewing, a
newcomer
> didnt get past the "guess what" and 6 weeks later she met me at
fighter
> practice.
>
> These are just a few of the examples of the tons I have.  I have sat
in
> large groups of very annoyed people discussing the same types of
things.

> The list is to exist to help and serve the members of the barony.  It
is
> currently like a wagon with a square wheel, useable but not as fast or

> functional as it could be.
>
> The rest of the Ansteorran lists are all just hit reply and talk away,
I am
> on a good many of them.  Since we are pretty much an adult community
on the
> lists, with a few very mature teens, I think we can handle an
occaisional
> oops.
>
> I for one find it a pain in the butt to have to use special commands
for one
> list, it would be a courtesy to those who find it annoying to please
let us
> police ourselves and be able to reply to a mesasge without being about
> hit enter and saying bleh, cutting and pasteing our letter to the
Barony and
> back tabbing to re-hit reply all.
>
> It is about communication, the list that is.  Simple, easy, effective
> communication for all, and this is just plain annoying :)
>
> ie: 1 squre wheel.
>
> Larissa
><snip>

"Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
- Eleanor Roosevelt