[Steppes] Saturday demo at Cinemark Legacy in Plano, May 7th

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Mon May 9 08:22:15 PDT 2005

Saturday about 10 fighters plus 20 of us as a support crew did a demo at
Cinemark Legacy in Plano, which is where Lady Icia is a manager on site.

We were a test team to see how well we could integrate with the other clubs
who regularly participate in recruitment and information days at this
theatre.  Also present was the Star Wars local group and a comic book club.

Lady Icia has advised us that Cinemark Legacy in Plano is very amicable to
letting us do demos whenever we find a movie that somehow relates to us or
when we just happen to feel the need to do a demo.

They were also very gracious in giving us water and soda throughout the day,
as well as inviting the demo crew to see the movie on the house.

The theory on the demo I used was that we were there to not promote the
movie, which was awesome, but to promote the SCA and the various things we
do.

We had some in 11th century all the way through Elizabethan.  We had Western
European as well as Japanese and Middle Eastern.

We had a lovely A&S table (thank you Maggie) as well as Her Excellency our
Baroness, Lady Gerita and others doing arts projects.

We utilized music that would capture the imagination of the passersby that
is medieval in concept but that they could relate too.  Conan, Warcraft, you
get the picture.  This music was next to the fighting field and it drew in
people who have an emotional attachment to the music to come closer and see
what the fighters were up too. ( a trick I learned in my marketing co ed
fraternity many years ago...shhhh ;)...)

>From there we were able to talk to them about what we do, and show our arts
and other interests.

It worked really well.  I was happy with the results.

Our Baronial Hospitaller Katheryn was there and she was awesome and
enthusiastic as ever.  What we did was have rovers in the crowds and a few
of us did spotting for interested people giving us second and third glances,
and sent over Kathryn, Steph, Isabel or Rixande who are really great at
answering newcomers questions.  The Ladies all did fantastic!

The theatre provided us with some of their crowd control stands which made
an awesome and stable list field.  We brought out alot of period chairs and
did our best to make it look like a busy tournament.

We handed out over 400 fliers and had people asking for more as we packed up
at 5 ish.
Next time, I think 1000 is in order.  We did not find one flier left on the
ground as we packed up, this is a good sign indeed :)

The goal of this crew was to make a connection with the Cinemark Legacy in
Plano for us to have a amicable, friendly and warm relationship so that The
Barony of the Steppes has an available movie site for demos with movie
openings, or just on afternoons when we think it would be a great
opportunity.

With Star Wars coming out, as well as Zorro and some other summer films that
look to draw huge numbers, this would be a great chance for us as a Barony
to bring in new membership and new blood.

Lady Icia worked really hard to make this happen for the SCA, we were given
the prime site next to the movie lines and entrance/exits.

With the Friday demo doing so well and the Saturday demo being also
extremely successful, we all should be back in good demo form, I hope that
the Barony will utilize this great source and connection Lady Icia has made
possible.

Thank you to Their Excellencies for the support and participation, to the
Steppes and Elfsea people who came out, and most especially thank you to my
Husband Earl Sir Duncan and his squires and men at arms for coming out in
such numbers and being such a handsome crew of men that attracted ladies
from far and wide.  Most especially thank you for fighting on concrete non
stop for 4 hours, I know it was uncomfortible.

Thank you to Lady Elizabeta for the connection she helped make with the Star
Wars people and our Barony, they were very interested and felt very welcome
because of your knowledge of their group.

And thank you Lady Icia for the great opportunity you have made available
for the Barony.  You are awesome!

Duchess Larissa. OL, OP