[Steppes] Steppes Fighter Practice - 6-12-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Tue Jun 14 14:36:23 PDT 2005

Heilsa,

This day brought forth the three (3) H's to not only the park but to the
entire area:

Hazy,
Hot,
    and
Humid,

it was bright and sunny with a south wind, gusting at times above 20
mph, that wind made it seem cooler and it grew in strength as the day
process into early evening.

Once, again people paced themselves, brought out water and gatorade,
went out and fought, came back off the field and cooled down and
replenished their fluids with water and/or gatorade.

A reminder that everyone needs to bring water, Gatorade, etc., I suggest
roughly 1 gallon per person, if fighting then 2 gallons per person, plus
sun screen and if possible - hats.

Snacks - that would help give you a re-charge.  Fruit is good, so is
pickles, peanut butter is also good - I used the kind that also has
honey in it. Possible power or energy bars. What ever works for you.

If you have chairs, then please bring them with you.

A suggestion - please start drinking extra water several days prior to
the day of practice. This is also true of going to an event, be it SCA
related or not. You will have a better time and enjoy yourself more if
you are hydrate before you start your activity. Energy drinks does not
really work  when compared to water and gatorade - it may give you a
lift, but will not carry you as far.

Schedule:
Regular schedule fighter practice - every Sunday starting at 2 PM.
Mary Heads Carter Park in Carrollton.

July 10th - there will be people in the park the day after Coronation.

War Practice:
July 3rd (1st Sunday in July) at Mary Heads Carter park in Carrollton.
Start time: 2 PM
If possible, arrive early as your schedule permits.
Combat Archery will be included in the scenarios.

Gothic War:
Labor Day Weekend - September 2nd through 5th
Sweetwater, Texas - it is the old site
Heavy fighting melees on Saturday, with tournaments on Sunday.
Amazon household's 25th year anniversary, should be some partying going.

Gothic webpage <http://adlersruhe.ansteorra.org/Gothic.html>

People in armor:  11
Children:  3
Total in attendance: 19

Additional loaner armor is being made available to get as many people on
the field that wants to fight as possible. Currently - two additional
helms, one set of legs and of course the loan of personal gauntlets from
either Lord Hrafn, Lord CInaedOHosey and possible from Lord Michael
Fray, when Lord Michael is not on the field as an combat archer.

Training was available for all who requested it. The infamous ax handles
came out to help understand how to swing a sword, as well as develop a
practice routine during the week. I have used those same ax handles
myself to warm up for prior to picking up my bow. They do work.

Once again, discussions were held concerning:
Fighting styles
Various types of patterns for leather and plastic.
Differences in Plastic Barrels vs flat sheets of "barrel" plastic.
Along with suppliers of leather in the local area.
Pros and cons of various types of cloth for fighting and of course trim
that could stay up to the combat.

And as always after the practice, a group of us went to one of the local
buffets in the area to continue with various discussion on fighting of
the afternoon, armor, news of interest, etc... Everyone is welcome to
join in this activity as well.

In attendance this day:

Visitor(s) out of Kingdom:

Lord Michael O'Beare by way of Caid and Western Seas. Lord Michael will
be returning to the area for Coronation on July 9th.

Sir Baron Qadi 'Abd al-Mahdi Jamal ibn Hakim - Baron of Steppes

Clan Ross:
Lady Ciannait Chaimbuel
Lord Hrafn Olafsson (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan) - Steppes Knight Marshal

Condottieri:
Lord CinaedOHosey and children
   daugther - Tori
   and sons - Jon and Nikko
Lord Michael Fray

Lady Honour du Bois

Eric
Rose
Byorn inn Svarti
Cuhlwch
Kaneki no Ryuto Akimitsu,
    and his lady, Hilliary
Amadeus
Bob
Matthew,
   and his lady, Lady Rose of Naareth

Weapons used this day:
Sword
Spear
Bow and combat arrows

Shields used this day:
Heater
Round
Buckler
War Shield - Condottieri
Tear Drop Kite

Individual fights this day, witness:
Lord Hrafn with round and sword vs Amadeus with war shield and sword
Lord Hrafn with round and sword vs Byorn tear drop and sword
Byorn with tear drop kite and sword vs Cuhlwch with war shield and sword
Matthew with round sword vs Cuhlwch with war shield and sword
Lord CinaedOHosey with sword and invert sword vs Eric with sword and
invert sword
Amadeus with war shield and sword vs Eric with sword and invert sword
Lord Hrafn with spear vs Rose with spear
Cuhlwch with round and sword vs Amadeus with war shield and sword
Cuhlwch with spear vs Matthew with round and sword
Matthew with round and sword vs Lord Hrafn with spear
Sir Mahdi with buckler and sword vs Matthew with round and sword
Sir Mahdi with buckler and sword vs Lord Hrafn with round and sword
Sir Mahdi with buckler and sword vs Lord CinaedOHosey with buckler and sword
Lord Hrafn with round and sword vs Matthew with round and sword
Sir Mahdi with buckler and sword vs Lady Honour with buckler and sword
Lady Honour with buckler and sword vs Lord Hrafn with buckler and sword

Lord Michael Fray practicing for combat archery using a 30 lb recurve
with both UHMW and the Classical Baldar combat heads. The target that
Lord Michael has been using for the last 5 1/2 years finally gave up it,
round over and died. Never fear, there will another target next week to
take it's place. I feel that I am not shooting at my best, so will be
attempting to increase my skill level, would not want to let anyone down
out on the field. :)

and myself - Lord Michael Fray
  Combat Archer for the Condottieri
  King's Archer