[Steppes] Fighter Practice - 6-19-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Jun 20 15:00:38 PDT 2005

Heilsa,

In little under two (2) weeks, a Joint War Practice has been scheduled
to take place.

War Practice:
July 3rd (1st Sunday in July) at Mary Heads Carter park in Carrollton.
Start time: 2 PM
If possible, arrive early as your schedule permits.  Remember loaner
armor is on first arrival.
Combat Archery will be included in the scenarios.

Additional loaner armor is being made available to get as many people on
the field that wants to fight as possible. Currently - two additional
helms, one set of legs and of course the loan of personal gauntlets from
either Lord Hrafn, Lord CinaedOHosey and possible from Lord Michael
Fray, when Lord Michael is not on the field as an combat archer.

This past Sunday was Father's Day, as well as being Juneteenth, there
was something going on for everyone to enjoy this day. What else happen
on this day - June 19th:

Events:
0987 - Louis IV, crowned king of France
1097 - Antioch falls to the crusaders
1205 - Pope Innocent III fires Adolf I as archbishop of Cologne
1269 - King Louis IX of Frances decrees all Jews must wear a badge of shame
1286 - Rabbenu Mir of Rothenbur imprisoned in fortress of Ensisheim
1312 - Piers Gaveston, earl of Cornwall, was beheaded.
1369 - Duke Philip the Stout marries Margaretha van Male
1464 - French King Louis XI forms postal service
1502 - Emperor Maximilian I and England sign treaty of Antwerp
1566 - King James I (d.1625 at 59), son of Mary Queen of Scots, was born.
             James, aka King James VI of Scotland ruled Scotland from
1567-25 and England from 1603-25.
1572 - Garrison under Adrian van Swieten occupy Oudewater
1586 - English colonists sailed from Roanoke Island NC.,
              after failing to establish England's first permanent
settlement in America.
1588 - Spanish Armada heavily destroyed in storm

Famous Deaths:
1113 - Odo/Odardus van Kamerijk, French writer/bishop of Kamerijk, dies
1312 - Piers Gaveston, earl of Cornwall, beheaded
1341 - Juliana van Falconieri, Italian saint/Swedish tenor, dies
1542 - Leo Jud[ae], Swiss pastor/church reformer
1554 - Sixt[us] Birck [Xystus Betulius], German writer (Judith), dies at 53

It was an afternoon to enjoy the company of our fellow fighters and
those who came out to watch/support those who got into armor. It was
more of a training day in armor for those who came out. The park was
under bright sunny skies, yet a gentle breeze that was cooling.
Individuals with their crystal balls or their weather beetle was indeed
off concerning the high for this day and the humidity.

Instruction was provide by Centurion Morgan and Lord CinaedOHosey in
sword, both buckler and round shield.

Once, again people paced themselves, brought out water and gatorade,
went out and fought, came back off the field and cooled down and
replenished their fluids with water and/or gatorade.  A reminder that
everyone needs to bring water, Gatorade, etc., I suggest roughly 1
gallon per person, if fighting then 2 gallons per person, plus sun
screen and if possible - hats.

Snacks - that would help give you a re-charge.  Fruit is good, so is
pickles, peanut butter is also good - I used the kind that also has
honey in it. Possible power or energy bars. What ever works for you.

A suggestion - please start drinking extra water several days prior to
the day of practice. This is also true of going to an event, be it SCA
related or not. You will have a better time and enjoy yourself more if
you are hydrate before you start your activity. Energy drinks does not
really work  when compared to water and gatorade - it may give you a
lift, but will not carry you as far.

People in armor:  3
Children:  5
Total in attendance: 16

Schedule:
Regular schedule fighter practice - every Sunday starting at 2 PM.
Mary Heads Carter Park in Carrollton.

July 10th - there will be people in the park the day after Coronation.

Gothic War:
Labor Day Weekend - September 2nd through 5th
Sweetwater, Texas - it is the old site
Heavy fighting melees on Saturday, with tournaments on Sunday.
Amazon household's 25th year anniversary, should be some partying going.

Gothic webpage <http://adlersruhe.ansteorra.org/Gothic.html>

Weapons used this day:
Sword

Shields used this day:
Round
Buckler
War Shield - Condottieri

In attendance this day:

Clan Ross:
Centurion Morgan Buchanan (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)  - Central Region
Knight Marshal
     and his lady, Lady Ciannait Chaimbuel
Lord Richard of Durnsford (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)
Lord Hrafn Olafsson (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan) - Steppes Knight Marshal

Condottieri:
Lord CinaedOHosey and children
   daugther - Tori
   and sons - Jon and Nikko