[Steppes] coronation question

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Sun Jun 26 21:08:52 PDT 2005

I attended most of them, long before I ever had a role in court.  (Actually,
I attended *all* of Ansteorra's coronations before I had a role to play.)
It's symbolic, stirring, theatrical, and over-long.

There is a tournament to choose the next King's Champion.

There is a grand court, full of panoply and grandeur and Modius's voice.

The retiring Crown give out their last awards.
They say their final thank yous.
The barons and baronesses are released from the bond of fealty.
The Great Officers of State are released from their oath of service.
They usually make a Lion of Ansteorra (our most prestigious order).
The Lions take back the Sword of State.
The Queen gives her scarf back to the White Scarves, and releases them from
her service.
She returns the Queen's Crown to the Ladies of the Rose (former Queens), to
guard for the next Crown.
The king calls up the Knights, releases them from his service, and returns
the King's Crown to them to guard.
The (now ex-) King and Queen process away.

(There follows a short respectful pause, to symbolize the utter chaos
backstage as the new Crowns get ready.)

The Crown Prince appears and approaches the throne.  The knights challenge
his right to the throne, and he proves himself the rightful heir.
He receives the crown from the knights, and crowns himself king.
The Crown Princess comes forth.  She receives the Crown from the ladies of
the Rose, and is crowned Queen.
The Lions come forward, and pass on the Sword of State, with a challenge to
the king to remain always worthy of it.
The knights swear their fealty to the king.
Other peers (Pelicans and Laurels) who wish to, mat swear fealty.
The White Scarves swear their fealty to the Queen.
The Officers swear their oaths of service
The barons and baronesses swear their oaths of fealty.
If appropriate (it is, in this case), the old king and queen are called up
and given their new noble rank and title.  In this case, Ulsted and Cateau
will have completed their second reign, and will be named Duke and Duchess.

At long last, a feast is served.

Then all the new people come back home with lots of questions, which will be
answered at the Kindergarten of Heralds on July 25, where we will explain
Ansteorran precedence, honors, and awards.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin