[Steppes] Recipes for dishes from the Lindenwood Masked Ball

alkudsi@aol.com alkudsi at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 23:24:00 PDT 2005

A number of people asked for the recipes for several of the dishes from the feast.  I hope you will not mind if I publically post them here to save time.

Hulwa (Middle Eastern Divinity)

Ingredients:
1 egg white
1 cup sugar
1/3rd cup water
1 cup (plus) nuts (walnuts, pistachios, almonds, sesame seeds, etc.) crushed
spice to taste

You will need:
Small heavy pot
Candy thermometer
Whisk or electric beater

Separate egg white and yolk.  Put the white in a small mixing bowl and store in the refrigerator until needed.

Pour water into pot, then insert the candy thermometer until it is just touching the surface.  Carefully add the one cup of sugar, being careful not to get any on the side of the pot.  DO NOT STIR!  That would deposit sugar crystals on the side of the pot that could spoil the syrup. Bring to a hard ball stage (about 265 degrees). I prefer to err on the side of a little too hot than too cool.  While the syrup is cooking, make sure that the nuts are crushed.  You don't want fine powder, but smaller chunks are easier to handle.  About the time that the syrup reaches the soft ball stage (about 235 degrees) start beating the egg white to hard peaks.  When it reaches the hard peak stage, add any spices you are going to add.  At hard ball stage, carefully pour the sugar syrup into the egg whites while still beating them. It will fluff up amazingly, but is very hot!  Turn off electric beater, then fold in crushed nuts.  Let cool and start to set in the bowl, then drop by small spoonfuls onto waxed paper.  Once cool, roll into balls.

The original recipe from the al-Kitab cookbook does not call for spices, but I like them to balance the taste of the nuts.  The ones I served at the ball were lemon zest and almond, cinnamon and walnuts, and saffron/cardamon and pistachios. I've also tried with strictly non-period ingredients such as vanilla and pecans, and it is always good.

Shiraz bi-Burgul
This is a palate cleanser salad, perfect for summer, from the Baghdad Cookery book.

Ingredients:
Curds from large curd cottage cheese (wash all milk off)
Leek
Celery leaves
Mint
Dry mustard
White pepper

Rinse the curds carefully then let drip dry.  Store separately in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Carefully clean the celery leaves (NO stalks), mint (no stems), and leek (use only the white and pale green portion of the plant).  I use close to equal amounts of each, although I usually go for slightly less of the leek than mint.  Roughly chop, then put into a food processor and grind to a paste.

When ready to serve, add the dry mustard (about 1/2 tsp per large container of curds) and white pepper to the curds, then lightly toss together with the green paste. This dish can stay out for a moderately long time without refrigeration if all the milk has been rinsed off the curds.  It doesn't retain the taste of "cottage cheese", either, since curds by themselves have little taste.  I use the celery stalks as a serving device by cleaning them and cutting into spoon-sized pieces that can scoop up a mouthful of the mixture.