[Steppes] Joint War Practice - 8-07-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Aug 8 11:23:12 PDT 2005

Heilsa,

The day was humid with a hint of heat that promise to come by
mid-morning this day. The weather forecast promised that there would be
40% coverage of the area for those lucky few - for we are still sinking,
not from water, rather from a lack of water from the heavens. A whole 7
inches below normal. Some people did in fact received rain. And it did
rain with a few drops upon the war practice in Veterans Park. The sun
for the most part remained behind those moisture laden clouds, with at
times a cooling wind. Rain did fall to the South, West and East of the
park. So if you stayed home, you missed a wonderful day to be in armor
and/or watching from the sidelines.

Activities this day:
Individual or one-on-one or pick-up fights, happened throughout and in
between the scenarios of the Joint War Practice, which I will list at
the bottom of this e-mail.
War practices:
   Last man standing
   Small group vs large group, in this case 2 on 3

The one thing that I do not record is the who won or lost in any of
these contests.

Tournament - I leave it to those who ran this one to make their
comments/report known in whatever format they wish. A Thank You to Lady
Giliana Launceleyn - Elfsea Hospitaler - she ran a List Mistress Class
and to Sir Gunthar for providing prizes for this tournament.

Apologies to those that I either misspelled your name, did not get the
title correct, missed the last name, and/or just failed to talk with you
and find out your SCA name and your interest.

Second - A personal apology to the 6 rapier fighters that came out and
had their own practice this day in the park, in that I do not know the
type of weapon nor the style of your fighting. I do have a listing of
you by SCA name and hopefully title. Thank You to HL Rixende for your
time in answering my questions.

Fighting Rapier:
Countess Maggie
Don Valentyn Drake
HL Rixende de Rouen - Cadet to Master Robin
Lady Deanna
Lord Dirk the Just - Elfsea Rapier Marshal - Cadet to Master Robin
Lady Candance from Shadowline (sp??)

Lady Ameline Du Bois - Baroness of Elfsea - brought out a banner for
children activities to be painted with scenes of the hunt. I know that
several other good gentles were involved in assisting with the painting
and failed to mention and recognize your efforts here.

People in armor:  22
Rapier:  6
Children:  12
Total in attendance:  49 is what I listed, do know that there were at
least 6 good gentles that I do not talk with so the total should be
closer to 55.

Weapons used this day:
Sword
Short Sword
Short Ax
Great Sword
Fiberglass Spear
Rattan Spear
Glaive
Padded Glaive

Shields used this day:
Heater
Kite
Round
Rectangle Shield

War Scenarios:
Marshals:
Sir Mahdi
Sir Romanius
Centurion Stella
Lord Daire

Last man standing - ran twice
Side 1:
Sir Duncan with heater and sword
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
Centurion Tomas with heater and sword
Centurion Llywelyn with glaive
HL Chiara with glaive
Lord Richard of Durnsford with round and sword
Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Josh with heater and sword

vs
Side 2
HE Baron Armand
Lord Mordock von Rugen  with kite and ax
    and his lady, Bren with rattan spear
Lord Ailgen - rectangle and sword
Aryeh ben David ben Zecharia  with heater and sword
Demitrix with kite and short sword
Jeremy with rectangle and short sword

Second Scenario of Last Man standing:
Side 1:
Sir Duncan with heater and sword
Centurion Tomas with heater and sword
Centurion Llywelyn with glaive
HL Chiara with glaive
Lord Richard of Durnsford with round and sword
Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Josh with heater and sword

vs
Side 2
HE Baron Armand
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
Lord Mordock von Rugen  with kite and ax
    and his lady, Bren with rattan spear
Lord Ailgen - rectangle and sword
Aryeh ben David ben Zecharia  with heater and sword
Demitrix with kite and short sword
Jeremy with rectangle and short sword

Small group vs a large group, in this case 2 on 3:
Objective - Stay Alive for the longest and work as a team in over coming
the other group.
Sir Gunthar with heater and sword
Lord Richard with round and sword
vs
Centurion Llywelyn with heater and sword
Centurion Tomas with heater and sword
HL Chiara with glaive

Sir Gunthar with heater and sword
Lord Richard with round and sword
vs
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
Aria with heater and sword
Jeremy with rectangle and sword

Sir Gunthar with heater and sword
Lord Richard with round and sword
vs
Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Bren with rattan spear
Demitrix with kite and short sword

Sir Gunthar with heater and sword
Lord Richard with round and sword
vs
Baron Armand with heater and sword
Centurion Tomas with heater and sword
Lord Ailgen with rectangle and sword

Baron Armand with heater and sword
Centurion Tomas with heater and sword
vs
Centurion Llywelyn with glaive
Josh with heater and sword
Alexander with round and sword

Baron Armand with heater and sword
Centurion Tomas with heater and sword
vs
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
HL Chiara with glaive
Jeremy with rectangle and sword

Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
HL Chiara with glaive
vs
Centurion Llywelyn with glaive
Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Alexander with round and sword

Centurion Llywelyn with glaive
Lord Ailgen with rectangle and sword
vs
Aryeh with heater and sword
Jeremy with rectangle and sword
Bren with rattan spear

HL Chiara with glaive
Lord Richard with round and sword
vs
Centurion Llywelyn with glaive
Jeremy with rectangle and sword
Aryeh with heater and sword

In attendance this day:

HE Armand Dragonetti (Squire to Sir Romanius)  - Baron of Elfsea,
     and his lady, Lady Ameline Du Bois - Baroness of Elfsea

Sir Baron Qadi 'Abd al-Mahdi Jamal ibn Hakim - Baron of Steppes

Sir Duke Aurelius Dracontius
     and his lady, Countess Sibri De Aldebourne
      with son and daughter

Sir Earl Daffydd Whitarc
     and his lady, Countess Octavia de Verdon

Sir Romanius Vesperianus
     and his lady, Lady Deanna

Sir Jarl Timotheos Kalamanos -(hope title is correct ??)

Sir Count Gunthar

Clan Ross:
Sir Earl Duncan Arthur Ross
Centurion Morgan Buchanan (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)  - Central Region
Knight Marshal
Centurion Tomas Niallagain (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)  - Captain of
Elfsea Baronial Guard
    and his lady,
      HL Rixende de Rouen (Cadet to Master Robin) - Seneschal of Elfsea.
Lord Richard of Durnsford (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)
Lord Hrafn Olafsson (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan) - Steppes Knight Marshal

Condottieri:
Lord Michael Kettering

Fray:
Lord Mordock von Rugen
    and his lady, Bren
Aryeh ben David ben Zecharia
Bones
Frenchy
Demitrix

Centurion Stella Silvana - Elfsea Scribe and Illuminators Guide Principle

Centurion Llywelyn Gruffydd (Squire to Sir Mahdi)

HL Arabella

HL Chiara Francecsa Arianna d'Onofrio, Captain of the Steppes Baronial
Guard
     and Apprentice to Master Fritz
        and daughter - Alexandria

Master Richard Fairbourne - Elfsea Herald and Herald Guide Principle

Don Valentyn Drake

Lady Giliana Launceleyn - Elfsea Hospitaler

Lord Daire da Haya - Elfsea Knight Marshal - Member of the Elfsea
Baronial Guard
Lord Dirk the Just - Elfsea Rapier Marshal - Lieutenant of Elfsea
Baronial Guard
Lord Ailgen 'an mac A'eda meic Canann - Dragonsfire Tor

Alexander - Gasyln
Till
Jeremy

A total of 8 new people to the area of both Elfsea and Steppes arrived
either before the War practice and/or during the practice to ask
questions with a serious intend of actually becoming active in this game
that we all play and wish to see expanded. I know that I can not
recognize everyone who stepped forward and help in answering questions
of these people. All of these people had taken their 1st by either going
out the SCA.ORG web site and/or coming to the Joint War practice to
acquire additional answers to their questions for either themselves
become active in the SCA and/or their children.

These 8 people are and their interest(s):
Debbie and her three sons - sons interested in boffer fighting.
Brad - interest in heraldry
Eamon - interest multiple, heavy fighting and combat archery
Janice - interest in target archery
   and son - Dominic
Isaac - interest in heavy fighting and combat archery.

Isaac was his first time in armor and with the assistance both Knight
Marshals of both Baronies, Lord Daire; with Lord Hrafn got some
one-on-one fighting time.

A good number people including the following each step forward to answer
questions not only of the above plus taking time to answer additional
questions from other people who came out to enjoy a cool August day.
This is only some that I witness, apologies to anyone that I failed to
mention here today.

Lady Ameline Du Bois - Baroness of Elfsea
HL Rixende
Sir Romanius
Centurion Stella
Lady Arabella
Don Valentyn
Lord Daire
Sir Mahdi
Centurion Llywelyn
HL Chiara

Individual fights witness this day:
Sir Mahdi with heater and sword vs Centurion Tomas with heater and sword
Centurion Llywelyn with fiberglass spear vs HL Chiara with glaive
Sir Romanius with heater and sword vs Lord Richard with round and sword
Sir Daffydd with heater and sword vs Sir Gunthar with heater and sword
Baron Armand with heater and sword vs Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
Sir Mahdi with heater and sword vs Lord Mordock with round and sword
Sir Romanius with heater and sword vs Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Sir Daffydd with heater and sword vs Sir Romanius with heater and sword
Sir Mahdi with heater and sword vs Sir Daffydd with heater and sword
Lord Ailgen with rectangle and sword vs Jeremy with rectangle and sword
Sir Mahdi with heater and sword vs Jeremy with rectangle and sword
Lord Bjorn with padded glaive vs Josh with great sword
Sir Daffydd with heater and sword vs Centurion Tomas with heater and sword
Sir Daffydd with heater and sword vs Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
Sir Daffydd with heater and sword vs Baron Armand with heater and sword
Alexander with round and sword vs Sir Daffydd with heater and sword
Lord Richard with round and sword vs Sir Daffydd with heater and sword

YIS,
 Lord Michael Kettering
  Combat Archer for the Condottieri
  King's Archer